PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Miezis Kirr from Dominance War (more specifically, the arms)

semmel
04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi there,

I'm not participating in the Dominance War. However, I'm a student at QANTM, and we got the assignment to rig one of the meshes from the animation part of DW. I chose Kirr, from Miezi

( http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/uploaded_images/42-game-3d-art-487-1242598008-image.jpg ;
http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/main/images/Animations/by_miezis.rar for the mesh ).

I only have pretty basic knowledge concering rigging, but I think this one should be feasible.

The one part I'm having problems with though are those arms. There are sort of two arms connecting to one hand, and I don't know how to rig those to get a believable result. I tried out a few things, but nothing satisfying so far. I'd really appreciate some tips and hints concerning this! Thanks

crydrk
04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, unless I missed something you didn't tell us what program you are rigging in. I'll put in my two cents assuming you're using maya, but I think what I am going to say can be applied to a lot of other 3d applications.

It looks to me like that character will be walking on it's arms. I would use ik for that. You could try building a joint chain as if it was two separate arms. Then set up iks for each arm (so for the 'arms' we're looking at 4 iks total) Then have both of the ik handles in the exact same spot and always move together with your control. Now I can imagine having both of those ik setups at the same time may cause you to lose control of having the elbows exactly the direction you want. That's where you can use a pole vector constraint in maya, or whatever the equivalent is in another program.

That's just how I would try to do it. There might be easier ways, but at my current level of knowledge that's the best way I can think of.

semmel
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention: yes, I'm using Maya.

Thanks for your advice, I hadn't thought of that, even though it seems quite obvious. I'll try that

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.