PDA

View Full Version : God Of Rock

budley
04-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Okay, so I'm a little late in the proceedings but after seeing the amazing works of, most notably, BaronImpossible and Yigit I figured there was no point posting anything until I had something of substance to put up.

It's not the most original God, but I have to get this one out of my system! You'll just have to indulge me on this one.

Some cool work from everyone and really inspiring stuff as usual - some paintings are already adorning my desktop :thumbsup:. Awesome! I hope I can do the team proud.

:buttrock:Wow. An icon just for my God...

DreadReaper
04-25-2011, 04:41 AM
If I may throw in my humble opinion, I would say go with the skull head. Why? Because A) It introduces a supernatural element and separates him from just some random rocker, and B) NOTHING rocks harder than skulls.

So excited to see how this turns out!

-Dread_Reaper

Makushiro
04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Haha yeah let's rock, :buttrock:
so far it's a very awesome God.
For the head, well...i like both, but the skull is more characteristic of heavy metal music i think.

budley
04-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Makushiro - thanks for the preference comment. I may end up painting 2 images since I can't decide which to choose - I'm worried the skull option may look too much like Skeletor from He-Man! That will clearly have to be addressed at some point.

DreadReaper - you're totally right of course - NOTHING rocks harder than skulls :buttrock:(other than chicks)

In an attempt to find out how everyone else is managing their attachments that display nice and large, as opposed to mine which appear as feeble little thumbnails:blush:, I'm hoping this post will see my composition thumbs as a formidable image of magnitude. If it appears small and the total antithesis of the nature of this competition please someone help me out!

Comments would be really appreciated on which composition you think works best. In the meantime I'm drawing up the guitar for a better idea on how this 'weapon' of enslavement will look :twisted:. Man I love this...

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3134/compositioncollection.jpg

PavelSokov
04-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh man, this is a great idea and looks like it has a really rockin execution!
Looking forward to this one.

Have you noticed that your thread title is different from everyone else's? Hmmm haha

budley
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
PavelSokov, thanks for making feel really SPECIAL. I figure I'm taking one for the team here - someone has to be the loser that makes everyone else's thread look good, I'm doing this for everyone :curious:. Thanks for the comment, I'm really hoping I can do this justice!

budley
04-27-2011, 02:47 AM
So you probably won't be able to see too much detail in the final image but I needed to figure out what the guitar might look like before I started putting more detail in the final image. Thinking of having the engravings glowing slightly in the painting. Worthy of a God or more work needed?

:shrug:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/7559/guitarconcept1200px.jpg

budley
05-02-2011, 01:42 AM
So here's the latest colour work. I've lost some of the tonal values from the b&w sketch which I'm a little gutted about. However, I've yet to include the guitar, but I'm not happy with my previous concept on that, it's not threatening enough. I'd really appreciate some ideas on how to incorporate it as a weapon. Perhaps if I change the design enough to make it look like a really brutal axe that might help, then I can pop it in as sketched in the b&w versions?

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4896/godofrockcolour11000hig.jpg

lepilo
05-02-2011, 06:49 AM
You've chosen an interesting approach, I like it a lot. Lookin' good, nice color on the background! Keep it up!

budley
05-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks lepilo!

Just trying to regain some of the dynamism of the original sketch, it was starting to get 'all too fiddly'. Took a screen grab and went back to working on a 2Mb file so I could speed things up and not be so precious. I think the colours are working better now, still not sure about the phono jacks in the hair since they'll be a very small detail that might just distract. Happier now though, so taking this back to the larger version.
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9016/colourpalettes3.jpg

budley
05-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Just painted the guitar and trying to figure out what to do with the background. I need some more depth so I'm playing with the idea of putting in lots of amps receeding into the cosmos. I'm also not sure whether the image has become too light or not...

Lots more to do on my God though, tattoos, armbands etc.

Thoughts would be good from anyone, especially on background ideas!
http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/1584/godofrockcol3.png

lepilo
05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey budley (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=317122),
well I loved the background in the 8th post, that architectual thing the left side with the guitar is really cool! Since you've decided to change it I think that if you make the char darker and the background lighter (or maybe vice a versa) it would suggest some depth.

yigit
05-12-2011, 11:17 AM
man the concept here is a really really solid one.seriously.and the composition of the illustration is great too.my humble opinion is that , maybe it just needs some tweaks with the colors.especially the upper part. also the graphical design on the sphere is a bit more detailed than the main character, so you can (maybe) detail the god further so it becomes the main focal point again? or just add some light/cloud etc. (but just a little) in front of the woman design?
And just as lepilo said, i loved the guitar-formed building in that post, maybe you can integrate it again?
We've one more week so i'm sure this will turn out greatly once finished.Also thinking about Neversoft is one of the sponsors for the challenge, this particular piece will most probably get their attention :)
Also got another idea while looking at those flying cubes... i think there should be some implementation of the loud noise... don't really know how to put it there...but some kind of trembling effect can do it i think.

budley
05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Lepilo, I think I will reintegrate the guitars from the previous post. I had been umming and ahhing over that so you've helped make up my mind. Thanks

Yigit, your humble opinion is always extremely welcome! Between you and Lepilo I think you're right and I'll get the guitars back. I shall also make the character more detailed - I need to find some valid reference for the torso, but the tattoos and bands will help hopefully. The girl I've been scared of attacking so far, but will drop her back a little and the tremble effect is totally needed - but how to do it? Some interesting trial and error is ahead!

Thanks guys.

yigit
05-12-2011, 08:01 PM
:) well, if you're painting with photoshop, them a very slight motion blur effect can help (or radial blur) i think...

Feronius
05-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Hope that you succeed in your trial and error then, because this image rocks.
Very nice colours and quite surprised to be honest that this is the first god of Rock, as far as I can recall, in the entire contest (at least one the CGS site and not seen it on CGhub yet either?)

Either way, this surely hits the right note.

budley
05-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Feronius - thanks for the kind words. I guess everyone else had more intelligence to go with something less obvious! :curious:
Yigit - I totally forgot the motion blur was in the tool set - what a dumb*ss! Thanks again for the advice.

So, I tried to include the guitars again from post #8 but I couldn't get the right balance to work with the rest of the composition, I'm still trying with that... In the meantime I changed the planet to a massive speaker (YEAH!) and used my girl design for some random playing cards that should help the composition. I'll probably change one of the cards to display the God as the Ace of Spades which is originally why I thought of playing cards.

The only other idea I had was to have an astronaut (of the Rock :buttrock:variety) space walking instead of the rockers on the cards. I definitely need some other characters in there. Any views either way would really help!
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3050/godofrock5.jpg

NinjaA55N
05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
This one is really good! Love the originality of the concept, as far goes for everyone else here (me included) who are doing monsters :D I could suggest longer "hair" of your god, which would add to dynamics of the image, as well making him more powerful. And if u need more characters in there, there is only one type u need.. girls/groupies! :D keep up the great work!

budley
05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Blaz, I'm SO liking your style. Groupies and girls coming your way along with some longer, 80s metal locks...

Ferx
05-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Really cool concept, I like a lot this idea. I think that the background on your last image works well with the concept, the planet with speakers is a cool touch :buttrock:Great work and waiting for more updates. Rock the world!!! :D Cheers!! :beer:

lepilo
05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
It's rocking! I love the colors, that orange thing behind him is really cool!

DerrickSong
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
hi budley, it is a cool entry!! a rock star god!!! i like the idea that you merged the speaker with the huge planet behind and the color combination is great! i think you may need add more rocker at the bottom, or make it more clear what is happening on the bottom side, add some city building view? good luck to you and looking forward it!!

my DA (http://derricksong.deviantart.com/)
my art blog (http://derricksong-artblog.blogspot.com/)

budley
05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Just about finished the actual God, let me know if there's anything obvious you think I should tweak. I've put some hanging bandanas between his legs and blowing from his waist to try and add a little more movement - do they work?

Now got to get on with adding some rock chicks and a worshipping audience down the bottom, after that a little atmospheric perspective and some colour work and hopefully I can start on the model sheet!

Hope everyone gets everything done in time! Loving all the updates...
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5615/godofrockcol7.jpg

lappixx0
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Hey it's so nice! your god is original, and the BG and its atmosphere are powerful and effective ( particularlly, the moon design is so interesting ). I want to see how it will be developed!

PavelSokov
05-19-2011, 11:28 PM
So what happened to the speakers?
I thought those were cool and made sense.
I don't get the Rock cards as much. What are those?

Feronius
05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Speakers are still in the sun behind him though.

Perhaps change the cards to speakers as well? or discs? Would make more sense.
(I do get the ace of spades reference, but playing cards still don't have that much to do with rock? Although you did say you would at least make it an ace of spades in a later version.)

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.