PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush 4 | R2 sneak preview

SheepFactory
04-24-2011, 02:01 AM
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=127664

A taste of some of the stuff in the upcoming zbrush 4 update. I hope this will be out by Siggraph. :)

Phrenzy84
04-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Nice rendering options, but wish it had more texturing abilities.

Lets hope they are saving those announcements for later.

chemkid
04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
and it's free - again!! :thumbsup:

chem!

Ballo
04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
the render still looks like "zbrush effect render". I don't know how to explain it. But anw I agree with Phrenzy84.

R10k
04-24-2011, 05:09 PM
As long as they fix the painting so it doesn't crash the program every two seconds, I'll be happy.

Although I won't hold out for that, since Pixologic are insistent there's no problem at all, despite a large thread with a ton of people with that very issue. Ah well.

webhead
04-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I would like to see the layer brush back the way it used to be. It worked better in previous versions.

kpamir
04-24-2011, 06:37 PM
There is one thing I want from Pixologic.

A 64-bit version of Zbrush.

UV painting would be nice, but that is secondary if you ask me.

AwesomeThreeD
04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Is it just me or is that lighting not matching that backplate very well?

karthikarctic
04-25-2011, 07:13 AM
sigh,...when is ZBrush coming for sale in india :(

Nemoid
04-25-2011, 08:39 AM
The thing i think would be more useful right now is better retopology tools just to do it all in ZBrush.
ZB introduced the concept, but tools now appear primitive, unless doing it with GoZ, and therefore using another app.
3D Coat has nice tools for that, and autopo too, so, i think ZB should make some catch up in this field.
Also, cannot wait to see some sculptris technology chime in to free us even more from geometry issues when creating things from scratch.

BTW better rendering is always welcome, and i'm sure we'll see more additions in upcoming weeks. :)

willp
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I'd like better retop tools like 3D coat, the ability to paint reflectivity and specular like you can paint displacement and colour, Go Z for Softimage and the ability to paint tiled textures in the displacement and colour simulataniously using a colour map and a displacment map in one brush, currently the "alpha" cuts out the RGB from the brush stroke

yurii
04-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Looks good enough, but I'll be much more happy when in the next release they just fix some issues with tools already there (+ full support for x64). I afraid that new features can cause additional bugs.

Kanga
04-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats pixo, more brilliant work we appreciate greatly.

As long as they fix the painting so it doesn't crash the program every two seconds, I'll be happy.,,,,.
I can crash spotlight by leaving a uv check texture on the model by accident. Are you doing that?

R10k
04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
No, the crashing is quite random in nature (or at least, it appears to be).

webhead
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
The thing i think would be more useful right now is better retopology tools just to do it all in ZBrush.

I agree. That would be nice. Don't really like the new way of doing retopology in ZBrush 4. I was hoping Z4 would bring much better retopology tools, but It hasn't happened at this point.
Didn't want to spend money or time learning another software, but I ended up buying the latest Topogun. It has some nice new features.

Laa-Yosh
04-25-2011, 06:55 PM
ZB introduced the concept, but tools now appear primitive, unless doing it with GoZ, and therefore using another app.

Huhh? Ever heard about Cyslice? And even Topogun had retopo way before ZB, or there are the Polyboost tools in 3ds max...

Anyway, Zbrush has far too many limits IMHO that keep it from becoming a good retopo tool...

rock
04-26-2011, 03:18 AM
I think ZBrush is great, but it is not well thought out in terms of consistent user interface. Therefore, as the software gets bigger and bigger, it becomes harder to change. It seems like 100 applications in one, like different tribes, hunting and eating different food, communicating with one language but with a 100 different dialects.

Nemoid
04-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Huhh? Ever heard about Cyslice? And even Topogun had retopo way before ZB, or there are the Polyboost tools in 3ds max...

Anyway, Zbrush has far too many limits IMHO that keep it from becoming a good retopo tool...
Sorry i was convinced for some reason that Topogun came after Zbrush implementation of retopo tools.

However sculpting apps like 3D Coat have really nice retopo tools, and autopo too, so Zbrush needs to make some catch up in this field.

fattkid
04-27-2011, 09:18 PM
I gotta agrree with the folks about fixing things that don't work/don't work well, or don't work as well as they used to. I'm a huge fan of ZB, but release 4 was pretty disappointing.

I was disappopinted how previous tools/features had been made more difficult and tedious to use than before. I've tried a few times to switch from 3.5 to version 4, and I would just wind up back in 3.5. The tools I need/use in production are way easier and faster in 3.5, as opposed to 4. The layers system is much more difficult to deal with, and it's mind blowing that you can no longer delete a layer you want to keep with just a simple button press, like in 3.5. And now Lightbox is more difficult to use because of Spotlight (to load a texture or alpha from Lightbox, you have to select the smooth brush, select said texture/alpha, remove said alpha/texture from smooth brush, and then load it into the actual brush you want to use). What used to be one step is now 4. And it's like that now on other features as well. One step is now 2, 3, or 4. That's called going backwards.

So many features were made more ineffecient to use..... For the first time, I actually started thinking about Mudbox.

It's like they get so caught up in innovating and creating and designing fancy bells and whistles that they forget that most people actually use ZBrush in an actual production environment. Where they have actual deadlines.

I suppose timeline and animated layers are super neat. I dunno. I never actually use those things in production. And I'm willing to bet close to 97% of the user base doesn't use those features in production. Or even at all. So how much time/energy/resources should they be devoting to somethiing like that, when you can't even delete a layer you want to keep, without going through some multistep convoluted process?

And their retopolgy tools are a probably the worst on the market. How about putting some time and energy into that? I would guess a functional, reliable retopo toolset would be used by 100 times more people than timeline or even Shadowbox. Sure, Shadowbox is keen, and there's some folks out there somewhere using it, but why not focus on the tools and features that are used by a majority of the user base?

I don't have a problem with the cool/interesting/innovative things they do, and the Pixologic team is great at such things, but I do have a problem with it when it compromises the core functionality of the program, especially in a production environment.

Obvioiusly I'm ranting a bit.... But it's cuz the place I'm at doesn't have ZBrush 3.5 handy, so I'm stuck with 4.....

Kanga
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Obvioiusly I'm ranting a bit.... But it's cuz the place I'm at doesn't have ZBrush 3.5 handy, so I'm stuck with 4.....
Yep it is a bit of a rant.
You can make choice about what sort of position you put yourself in. When I step over to new versions I always, always have a legacy version on my machine, just in case. Does the place you are working at not pay you enough for a laptop? ZB will run great on even a crappy machine, take one of those to work and use a zip drive.

Retopology? There are very very good game artists who swear by the retopo in ZB. I have always used polyboost. GoZ now gives me an even easier way to use my favourite modeling and retopo app, pretty seamlessly.

Some stuff has changed a bit sure. It may only be a bit frustrating to older users like us, new users wont know the difference and as a result will have a much better product due to the very imaginative innovations from pixo. Loosen up, have some fun, experiment, 2.5/3D is a blast.

fattkid
04-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Kanga - Actually, I can't "make a choice about what sort of position you put yourself in", as I have to use the software that my employer provides. And my employer does not allow us to bring in/install our own software. Although, I guess technically, you are right, as I could have refused this great job oppportunity if they couldn't provide me with ZB 3.5.

And I do have a nice cheap laptop, with ZB 3.5 on it. And yes, it runs great. I may even be able to bring it in and use it, swapping data back and forth with a thumb drive, like you suggest. Which would be a pain, and ineffecient.

Which illustrates my point perfectly - That working with/around ZB 4 has been made more difficult/ineffecient than the previous version.

Which I hope will not be a trend that continues.

Not tryin to hate here - ZBrush kicks a** - but if Pixo appears to be getting off course, like with the examples I mentioned above, honestly addressing said issues should be done.

But I shall try to loosen up, and take solace in the fact that new ZB users won't know the difference, and that I can paint in 2.5D. ;)

Kanga
04-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Its strange that your techs pulled the old version off your network, something I never do.

I hope the trend continues. You should hear the belly aching over max 2012, oh those caddies, oh the viewcube, oh the graphite ribbon, oh the fact that we need a decent graphics card that we havent updated for 10 years, oh we are gonna DIE. ha ha :scream:

Play with the new toys.

fattkid
04-28-2011, 04:33 AM
"Play with the new toys."

I guess that's all I can do :)

MikeNash
05-02-2011, 01:55 AM
They should of just finished at 4 and move all their man power to sculptris.
Z-brush has run its course.

SheepFactory
05-02-2011, 04:20 AM
I would really like them to revamp the UI and clean it up a little. Its hundreds of small menus with oversensitive sliders everywhere.

rasamaya
05-02-2011, 05:26 AM
I honestly feel like they dont care what we want anyway.
I have a list, but it has been said for so long that it feels like a prayer.

Kanga
05-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Having been part of the Z4 beta testing team I can tell you what you wrote could not be further from the truth.

Ballo
05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I have a list, but it has been said for so long that it feels like a prayer

But all of us have a list so it's difficult heard all the people opinions and remember they are running a company so take decisions to improve his app it's not easy. I just pray that his tester will do a good job.
I agree with the new layering and new steps, now it's more complicated work.

To be honest I don't care retopo when I can do it in Max or Maya. I'm more worried about painting tools, blend layers and multiuv's.

Joebount
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one who want Zbrush to simply work in a proper way, like, it doesn't screw up everything when you import or export from an external software.
Or I dunno, it would be awesome if they could simply FIX things instead of ADDING new things, no matter how cool they are.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic that they are trying to innovate but when you are using tools in production innovation is not what you want if it doesn't work correctly.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.