PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox and Cinema 4D - import/export

Larryvbl
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi !
Im using Cinema 4D. Im going to start using Mudbox as I have feelings after few tutorials I will love it big time!
Question is : Will Mudbox be working with Cinema 4D without probs in terms of importing and exporting data ??
Cheers !

oglu
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
should be no problem.. export the geo as obj or fbx...
and the textures are also no problem...

Larryvbl
04-24-2011, 03:24 PM
should be no problem.. export the geo as obj or fbx...
and the textures are also no problem...

cheers bro!
actually I found already the same. I did install demo Mudbox so far and hoping is giving you the same like full version , at least in terms of export/import
Export from Mudbox : like you said! .obj or .fbx (2010) , works pretty well
Im really amazed of performance (which is probably clever way from Autodesk) in terms of numbres of polygons in Mudbox, lets say ie. highlevel - about 8,500,000 polys works like dream when you working on it, I mean smooth display in preview window - native render.
You can easy export to C4D even that many polygons but C4D is getting so slow in preview window with that amount of polys. And to be honest Im not sure if this is the problem with perfomance and possibilities of C4D in terms of displaying numbers of polys or I should change the C4D preferences somehow?? I dont think there is any hardware problem as I have really powerfull workstation ( nVidia GTX580,24GB RAM,I7-6core)...hmmm...What do you think?
So to avoid this problem I would suggest to reduce number of polys before exporting from Modbox to lower level ( in my case I found to about 500 000) and then export. And if you want to make it smoother in C4D you can go for hyper-nurbs and subdivide eventually, but then again .. cinema is getting soooo slow and jumpy in display window....Of course you can workout your rig on lower poly model and put subdivision just for render which we all do probably.Im just wondering if there is any other way to improve performance of smooth displaying millions of polygons in C4D...Well, maybe nVidia Quadro would do but I think GTX580 should be good enough...hmmm...
Anyways,
Also, I found there is a problem with meshes when you importing to Mudbox from C4D, looks like mudbox can not subdivide the polys when number of vertexes is odd/unpaired or is different then most polys in the model, so Mudbox is getting lost or Im doing something wrong way...??
hmmm...Im using C4D 11.5 64-bit, and trying with Mudbox 2012 64-bit
Any ideas ?

oglu
04-25-2011, 05:43 AM
if the model is clean there should be no problem..
mostly quads and some tris should work...

Larryvbl
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
thanx Oglu

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.