PDA

View Full Version : How does the industry treat riggers?

circusPies
04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Is there anyone in the industry? Do the rigging programs they have do most of the work these days?

What kind of rigging programs have you designed, if any?
Thanks im curious.

crydrk
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
I've been treated fairly well with rigging jobs. Seems no one else wants to do it so thats a plus! :beer:
I don't feel rigging is very automated. I've used scripts and stuff before and that's definitely helpful. However, imo skinning is the more time consuming part of rigging. As far as my experience goes it's anything but automatic and takes lots of tweaking to get a mesh working right. There are some cool looking tools in maya 2011 that make skinning easier. I work in 2010 so I haven't tried it extensively, just once on a friend's computer. It was cool but not that easy. Of course I didn't know how to use the tool well so I'm not a very valid opinion on how it works! Trying to remember what it's called... It was the tool where you use the pill shaped thing to assign weights. Perhaps someone could help out with the name of the tool?

nuternativ
04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I've been treated fairly well with rigging jobs. Seems no one else wants to do it so thats a plus! :beer:

I agree with that, doing what nobody wants to do is a PLUS!
cheers!

nemeru
04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
well, it depends on the industry you want to enter. with commercials, you most of the time find yourself in the quick'n'dirty approach, which i don't like that much, but everything's on a tight schedule and there's always margin for error.
with movies, there is no margin for error, and everything has to be perfect (in a perfect world ^^), there's a setup pipeline, so every profession fits right in.
as for automatization, part of it is, part of it aint. rig can be built with a script in a matter of seconds, but skinning i agree, will never be automated. that process is the hardest.
to the tools, well, high-end studios like to think of rigges as software engineers (i have *no* idea why...) and demand a thorough knowledge of python or c++. in fact most of the riggers from Lucasfilm at Singapore, come from a software engineering background.
to the tools, some script for creating a decent rig, maybe a pose-space deformer, but i hate those ^^ those are the basics for me...
depends where you go, really...

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.