PDA

View Full Version : Problem with eyes following the head after lookat constraint added

Fashish
04-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm in the last stages of my short animation for a uni project. I've set up my animation and facial animation and everything, and the only thing left now is to animate the eyes. I've setup individual dummies for each eye with a look-at constraint for each and then linked them to a main dummy. the eye movements good and everything seems to be in order apart from the fact that when i move/rotate the head around the eyes (which had been linked to the head) won't move with the head, and just stay in their place. Is it to do with the fact that I have my main dummy linked to the head as well (so it would move with the head)?

Screenshot:

original position:
http://i.imgur.com/4D720.jpg

second position - head's been rotate, the look-at controllers for the eyes moving accordingly with the head, but the eyes stay in place
http://i.imgur.com/sC1ky.jpg

Dancel89
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Try to parent your eyes geometry to separate nurbs controls and parent those to Your head master control .
You should also parent your main eye/look-at dummy to You head master control/object as well.

Hope it helps :thumbsup:

chimera15
05-14-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm having the same problem basically, except that mine move with the head, they just won't stay in relative place to the mesh. Could anyone go into more detail on how this is done? Everytime I move the head I have to push them back into place, which is little better than just not link constraining them to the biped at all. In 3dsmax btw.

I looked all over the web, and while found numerous tutorials on how to do the look constrain thing, and have that all worked out, there's almost nothing on how to mount them into the head once this is done, or the head is completely static, which seems pretty pointless.

I need to know how to do it for a biped rigged character.

chimera15
05-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Could this be because I used skin instead of physic to rig my character? Does physic grab all the extra stuff like clothes better than skin does?

scrimski
05-14-2011, 07:55 PM
No. Physique is outdated, so use skin.
the eye movements good and everything seems to be in order apart from the fact that when i move/rotate the head around the eyes Be sure you don't have any other constraints in your eye's setup. Contraints override link.
Is it to do with the fact that I have my main dummy linked to the head as well (so it would move with the head)?Unlikely

chimera15
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Ah that's interesting about physic being outdated, tough to know with all the older tutorials out there. I have "look at" constraints, but it seems to me that with just a constraint linked to the head of the eyeballs, no matter where I turn the head of the biped the eyes are going to stick exactly to the spot on the head, but that head is floating around inside my mesh. At times the biped head comes outside the mesh and is not going to ever be perfectly relative to the eyes and the biped, since the head has parts that need to be not 100% weighted since they're not equadistant from the biped head. It seems like there must be a better way to do this.

I have some higher end figure examples and they have it done correctly, cause I can turn their heads and the eyes stay in place, so I know it's possible, I'm just not seeing how it's done.... Those were done with physic though, and not skin, so I wasn't taught about that and not sure how the weighting system is done with physic.

Is there a way I can examine all the constraints and such that's on a part to see how they did it, because nothing comes up in the stack when I click on the eyeballs.

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.