PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Film School

Erickzon
04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Hello, I'm a footstep away from applying to the L.A. Film school in hollywood, and I just wanted to hear somme comments and oppinions about it, you know, if it's a good school, etc. So go ahead please :)

JanosHunyadi
05-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Is this CAL Arts in Pasadena? If so, it's pretty ace. It's a little far from UCLA and USC where a lot of other artists are located who might be interested in working with you.

Did you apply to any other California schools?

Erickzon
05-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Is this CAL Arts in Pasadena? If so, it's pretty ace. It's a little far from UCLA and USC where a lot of other artists are located who might be interested in working with you.

Did you apply to any other California schools?

No it's not Cal arts, I know that school it's pretty awesome but pretty expensive haha, L.A. Film school is located in the heart of hollywood near L.A. Recording school.
And yeah, I did apply to other schools, like CCA and the Academy of arts, but that was before I knew how expensive they where. u.u

SanjayChand
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
If you are going for VFX, Gnomon is literally right down the street.

just sayin'

brucem91
06-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Hello, I'm a footstep away from applying to the L.A. Film school in hollywood, and I just wanted to hear somme comments and oppinions about it, you know, if it's a good school, etc. So go ahead please :)

Are you looking at the computer animation program? I've been in the program for roughly a year now and I love it. What type of cg focus are you looking at? That may help determine the best school to go to.

Erickzon
07-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Are you looking at the computer animation program? I've been in the program for roughly a year now and I love it. What type of cg focus are you looking at? That may help determine the best school to go to.

Yeah, that's exactly the program I'm about to enroll, and I'm looking forward to learn visual effects, in the future I would like to focus in character design, texturing and enviroments. It's good to know you like the program, I'm sure I would like it too. :)

brucem91
07-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Yeah, that's exactly the program I'm about to enroll, and I'm looking forward to learn visual effects, in the future I would like to focus in character design, texturing and enviroments. It's good to know you like the program, I'm sure I would like it too. :)

Yea, VFX time starts about one year into the program, with 1 month for shading and lighting, one month for maya dynamics, and two months of nuke compositing. As for character design, I've seen some nice character model's created through the program.

Erickzon
07-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Yea, VFX time starts about one year into the program, with 1 month for shading and lighting, one month for maya dynamics, and two months of nuke compositing. As for character design, I've seen some nice character model's created through the program.

Wow, nice to hear that, I'm really exited to start this august 29. I wanted to ask you something, does the laptop they offer you at the beggining of the course is worth its price?

brucem91
07-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Wow, nice to hear that, I'm really exited to start this august 29. I wanted to ask you something, does the laptop they offer you at the beggining of the course is worth its price?

Oh nice, can't wait to see you around school. As for the laptop, it changed slightly since I went there. You can see the dell specs in my sig, but as far as I know the main difference is that the laptops now come with a 500 GB HDD. Honestly though I don't use my laptop that much anymore due to what I think is a GPU issue. I now only use it as a mental ray slave for my iMac. But on the most part as long as you don't get any viruses the laptop should be fine. Only later on you may notice some slowdowns, but we do have two labs to work in.

Erickzon
07-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh nice, can't wait to see you around school. As for the laptop, it changed slightly since I went there. You can see the dell specs in my sig, but as far as I know the main difference is that the laptops now come with a 500 GB HDD. Honestly though I don't use my laptop that much anymore due to what I think is a GPU issue. I now only use it as a mental ray slave for my iMac. But on the most part as long as you don't get any viruses the laptop should be fine. Only later on you may notice some slowdowns, but we do have two labs to work in.

Oh I see, would you recomend me to get it? Because as far as I know it comes with al the programs you'll need, but maybe for 3500 usd I could get something better... I dunno

brucem91
07-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Oh I see, would you recomend me to get it? Because as far as I know it comes with al the programs you'll need, but maybe for 3500 usd I could get something better... I dunnoya, the main thing that you need is:
A good laptop (you will have classes that don't take place in the lab)
Autodesk suite (maya mainly. Once you get your school email you can get maya for free from students.autodesk.com)
Zbrush
Adobe suite; mainly photoshop, after effects, and possibly premiere. You should be able to get an edu discount once you get your school ID and email

If I were to do it all again I would personally get a high-end 15" MBP or low end 17". But that is my personal preference. If you don't feel like going through all the headache just get the school laptop package, because if any problems arise Dell will send a technician to the school to fix it. Also the teachers are most familiar with the dell laptop so you can get the most help. If you weren't going to get the school laptop though, what type of machine are you looking at?

Erickzon
07-08-2011, 06:27 AM
ya, the main thing that you need is:
A good laptop (you will have classes that don't take place in the lab)
Autodesk suite (maya mainly. Once you get your school email you can get maya for free from students.autodesk.com)
Zbrush
Adobe suite; mainly photoshop, after effects, and possibly premiere. You should be able to get an edu discount once you get your school ID and email

If I were to do it all again I would personally get a high-end 15" MBP or low end 17". But that is my personal preference. If you don't feel like going through all the headache just get the school laptop package, because if any problems arise Dell will send a technician to the school to fix it. Also the teachers are most familiar with the dell laptop so you can get the most help. If you weren't going to get the school laptop though, what type of machine are you looking at?

Oh I see, the fact is that right now, the school is offering me a Mac book pro for 3500 $ I don't know the specifications, that's why I'm asking you, I didn't know that they gave you a dell before, but if you say you would rather choose a MBP then I will do a little bit of research before deciding, like checking prices in apple store and stuff.

Lately, people has been telling me that mac is better than PC for maya. I was thinking in spending less than 3500 usd and build a better PC laptop. But if you say Mac is better then I will go for a MBP.

brucem91
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh I see, the fact is that right now, the school is offering me a Mac book pro for 3500 $ I don't know the specifications, that's why I'm asking you, I didn't know that they gave you a dell before, but if you say you would rather choose a MBP then I will do a little bit of research before deciding, like checking prices in apple store and stuff.

Lately, people has been telling me that mac is better than PC for maya. I was thinking in spending less than 3500 usd and build a better PC laptop. But if you say Mac is better then I will go for a MBP.

If they are indeed giving you a MBP for $3500 (I knew they were thinking of switching, but I didn't know when) they I would completely just recommend you get the school laptop deal. I was pricing things together and getting everything they give you would be more than 3500. As far as "Mac is better" I can't say that as a general statement, I can only say that the Mac is MY preference.

Erickzon
07-08-2011, 11:46 PM
If they are indeed giving you a MBP for $3500 (I knew they were thinking of switching, but I didn't know when) they I would completely just recommend you get the school laptop deal. I was pricing things together and getting everything they give you would be more than 3500. As far as "Mac is better" I can't say that as a general statement, I can only say that the Mac is MY preference.

I see, thank you very much for your help, I think I will get the MBP, I'll still do a little bit of research but now I'm almost sure I will get the school's one. Anyway, are you working right now? How was your path after you came out of L.A Film school?. It would be really usefull for me to know any kind of reference, if it is possible of course.

brucem91
07-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I see, thank you very much for your help, I think I will get the MBP, I'll still do a little bit of research but now I'm almost sure I will get the school's one. Anyway, are you working right now? How was your path after you came out of L.A Film school?. It would be really usefull for me to know any kind of reference, if it is possible of course.
Ah no, I am still in the program, I graduate at the end of december. But yes, I definitely recommend just getting whatever laptop package they offer you.

Erickzon
07-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Ah no, I am still in the program, I graduate at the end of december. But yes, I definitely recommend just getting whatever laptop package they offer you.

Oh ok ok haha, well thank you and see you in august then.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2011, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.