PDA

View Full Version : rigging a character with armor

lmpi16
04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Anyone knows how to rig a character with armor , which is saparate from the main character ? Should i use constrains or ? I am using maya btw

nemeru
04-27-2011, 09:42 AM
depends. if you want the armor to deform or not.
you could throw an nCloth on it and stiff it up big time, but thats way too much sims i think... you could always throw a rigid body on it and see how that handle's that. or if you have no deformations under the armor, you could just constraint it to the same bone as the torso... if it's a shoulder armor, i would skin it to a separate bone parented under the clavicle and SDK to add the little extra touch.

lmpi16
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you .Its armor on knight - on shouders , arms , legs , knees and there are gaps between all armor peaces witch uncover the character's cloth.The armor will not deform at all - i want only to add weight and achieve realistic movement and rotation according to the main body If you have other suggestions (for example for the knee ). Thanks

aubone114
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
the simplest way to do this is to just parent nearest joint to each piece of armor. (i.e the shoulder joint would be the parent to the shoulder piece or armor), its simple and much easier on the ram and it works great.

nemeru
04-27-2011, 11:13 PM
the simplest way to do this is to just parent nearest joint to each piece of armor. (i.e the shoulder joint would be the parent to the shoulder piece or armor), its simple and much easier on the ram and it works great.

rule of thumb, impi16, never parent anything under the skeleton, that does not belong there.

always expect the unpredictable. if the model was to be handed off to the animators, or even if you animated it yourself, the skeleton visibility would be turned off. hence the armor would be invisible. and that's just one of the issues.

there are various ways to go about it.
a) if you have only one mesh with everything, paint each armor piece 1 for the nearest joint. for the knee, you can paint it .5 to ulna and .5 to femur. that should do the trick.
b) if you got multiple meshes, which is preferred, group each geometry piece, to have an extra node above each armor piece, and parent constraint that node to the corresponding bone. in case of the knee, parent constraint it to both the ulna and the femur (and change the weights on the constraint to .5 for each.)

now the reason for the extra node, the grouping, is if you wanted later to remodel the given piece, you have the group ready there, and can just delete the previous version of the model, and substitute it with the new one without worrying about anythin.
besides, it's a good practice for more high-end setups :)

hope this helps.
post a result once ur done, if u can :)

aubone114
04-28-2011, 02:52 AM
rule of thumb, impi16, never parent anything under the skeleton, that does not belong there.

always expect the unpredictable. if the model was to be handed off to the animators, or even if you animated it yourself, the skeleton visibility would be turned off. hence the armor would be invisible. and that's just one of the issues.

This is actually incorrect. I work for a previs company here in LA and for speed purposes we do not skin any of our characters. All of the geometry is indeed parented to the joints themselves. Turning the skeleton visibility off (meaning under the show menu, not actually hiding the skeleton) has no effect on the visibility of either nurbs or polygons or whatever your geometry is made of. With that said if this is for a professional company then of course you would need to check to see what their pipeline is set up for and if this would work for them. If they do want to physically 'hide' the skeleton by selecting it and pressing cntrl+h then it will effect the visibility of the geometry parented to it, but this is uncommon, normally the joints visibility is checked off under the show menu in the viewport.

nemeru
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
well, in that case, i'd rather start the next few lines with the 'in my opinion' :)

note that previs is very different from the real thing, and the techniques used there, are very often very quick'n'dirty compared to production ones. this shouldn't be the case for the real thing...
one thing is having the joints turned off in the viewport, one thing is giving animators only what they need. i usually don't want them to see my skeleton, and am reluctant to rely on their good manners to turn off joint visibility :) it's easy enough to break things that way, so i go with hiding what they don't need.. and i think that if i can trade a few parent constraints for the increased flexibility and a bit of extra freedom, i say 'hell yea' ^^

conclusion - i say if you wanna do it production-like, go for my technique. if you prefer quick'n'dirty approach, you might as well parent them under the skeleton, but i can't stress enough how i think that's a bad practice, sorry

btw, i mean no offense. i guess for previs it is not quick'n'dirty, but rather 'okay' way to go, but the same approach is considered quick'n'dirty in production everywhere i've been :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.