PDA

View Full Version : Game Animations

Todilo
04-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I am wondering about how to do animations for games. I have created myself a test mechwarrior model. Applied my skin modifier(3ds max) and all the bones now control a specific body-part. How do I go about making animations suitable for games, what I am most interested in is a walk animation.

Is the best approach to try to move him on the spot? I dont want to change his world-coordinates as that would probably mess upp when I move him to my gameengine(unity in this case). Or is it better to do like 2 steps in worldspace and then remove the transform of the root-bone? how do you go about it?

archanex
04-22-2011, 01:49 AM
in general, game animations should be made to play at the origin, for example you have a run cycle, the character should be running in place at the origin.

does that answer your question or are you asking how you create an animation of a character running in place?

Todilo
04-22-2011, 10:26 PM
in general, game animations should be made to play at the origin, for example you have a run cycle, the character should be running in place at the origin.

does that answer your question or are you asking how you create an animation of a character running in place?

Hi, thank you for your answer. I was mostly referring to the technique used. Do you create a walk animation where the character actually moves in world-space and then remove the transofmration(the change in position)? Or do you jus try to animate him in place? I find it hard to move the legs convincingly.

TravisRamsdale
04-26-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd be animating on the spot if I were you. I know some guys that move the character in world space but seems pretty silly to me. One little thing I do to help with the feet is once I've set my two contact poses I create and animate objects on the ground between the feet and set them to linear to simulate the ground moving underneath the character. Then I can use those objects to ensure my feet always stay an even distance apart from one another and that I won't get feet sliding.

Good luck.

spacegroo
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM
It really depends on the game engine exporter. We never animate on the spot for locomotion cycles, because our exporter accounts for the translation of the character.

TravisRamsdale
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah that's true. I've had both before. I always just add the translation on the main character controller (if it's needed) so I end up with the best of both worlds. And it's also more flexible to use as an animation clip for other things down the track.

Unfortunately I've never used Unity though Todilo so not sure what the best solution is for that particular engine.

cyberdogs7
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I always have our animators animate through world space (root motion) as it's VERY easy to remove it and very difficult to add it back in.

Never know when you might need it :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.