PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Text look like ICE & then Shatter it?

fxwizard
04-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Using Houdini: How do I create TEXT that looks like ICE?

fomal
04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
There's multiple ways of approaching this and I don't think you will get a clear answer here.
The question isn't specific enough.

Look into Houdini's RBD Fracture tools, and try to understand how they work. From both a sop as a dop perspective.

Use the Font operator to generate text.

Start with the glass material to create an icy look. Dive inside and look at the VOP's and what they do specifically.

fxwizard
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Nevermind, fracturing/shattering my Text. How do I make Text look like ICE or like SNOW or like ICEY?

-Sai-
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
your question is not specific enough to guide you and sounds like you are super new to the software.
you wanna look into
-VOP SOP for displacing geometry
-take a look at displacement material in gallery to learn making shader
-surface model vop in shop vop to get SSS

fomal
04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
So why ask in the first place? I'd start learning Houdini and come back with more specific questions. Otherwise our answers won't be of any use.

Nevermind, fracturing/shattering my Text. How do I make Text look like ICE or like SNOW or like ICEY?

eworc
04-22-2011, 07:53 PM
By "icey", do you want it to look like this?

http://tinyurl.com/42xkmga

fxwizard
04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes - like that. Simple Text that looks like ICE!!!

cdeorsay
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Again, there probably isn't a simple answer for this, because there are so many different approaches.

I would say that if you want to create a tool that would make text or any object look icy you need to do it in two "steps". You need to modify the shape of the text/character/object to look more like it has icicles/ice shaped. and then you also need to add on a icey shader so the material looks icey.

Fomal had a really good suggestion of starting with the glass shader. Maybe look into applying a different texture to a duplicate of the text/geo that has a "peak" attached to it to make it smaller & inside the original geometry, because often times ice is less clear further into the ice block.

I would say start playing with it, and see what you can figure out. When you get stuck you could upload a file for some help, but we have a hard time helping when there are so many different directions you could go into!

good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.