PDA

View Full Version : RHiggit! Character autorigger for LightWave 3D.

PentamiterBeast
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
My RHiggit! set of tools for rigging characters in LightWave is now complete and fully released...

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhiggit.html

It provides excellent results on a huge range of characters, both in terms of control systems for efficient animation, and in deformation.

Its available in three different versions, Pro, Lite, and Free to suit all needs.

Previous customers of other products can get upgrade and discount pricing for the Pro version, and there are also bundle offers for those who want to pad out their rigging arsenal with additional goodies.

Furthermore, for previous owners of Lite, there is a enw updated version ready to download now, information for which can be found on my messageboard.

There is also a demo version for people to try out on their own characters, as well as ready made, fully rigged characters for you to experiment with to see what can be achieved for yourselves. Also for those wanting more details on the control systems available, there are video guides that show off all the available systems, and their usefulness in animation, to help you get started either with rigs you build with the system, or those ready made characters you download.

http://rebelhill.net/html/rh_rig_guide.html

So check it all out, and I hope you find something you like, that is helpful to your work.

SubDProxy
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to try it out!
Glen

Jokerfrown
04-20-2011, 04:38 AM
...wow
PLEASE BRING THIS TO 3ds!

T4D
04-20-2011, 05:36 AM
very cool to have that level of rigging in Lw VERY COOL TO SEE !! :thumbsup:

...wow
PLEASE BRING THIS TO 3ds!

what is 3ds ?? do you mean 3D MAX ?.. if you are check your manual.

webhead
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
This looks very good! Your skill in character rigging is remarkable!
Will you be making any video tutorials that demonstrate the set-up process for those of us who don't have a lot of experience in character rigging?

PentamiterBeast
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
This looks very good! Your skill in character rigging is remarkable!
Will you be making any video tutorials that demonstrate the set-up process for those of us who don't have a lot of experience in character rigging?

You mean the setup process of the autorigger itself?

Honestly, its SO fantastically easy, as long as you have a rough idea of the difference between an arse and an elbow you'll be fine.

Do though check out the demo version download... the included docs are pretty thorough, and there's also some additional video guides there to supplement the docs just to explain a couple things more clearly/visually.

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhiggitdemo.html

There's also one lil vid on my youtube that takes a specific case look, which I'll be adding more vids to along the same sorta lines to help explain certain details of the system as time goes by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FSt-apzJA

Cheers.

Jokerfrown
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
very cool to have that level of rigging in Lw VERY COOL TO SEE !! :thumbsup:

what is 3ds ?? do you mean 3D MAX ?.. if you are check your manual.

it's quite obvious I meant 3DS MAX unless the only 3D package you've ever used is blender
and not sure what you mean by check your manual

anyway is there any chance this will be ported over to 3DS?
I would settle for the weighing not necessarily the animation stuff

PentamiterBeast
04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I suppose if I had to guess Id be thinking it's a reference to CAT (isnt that part of max now?)... gah, I duuno, havent used max since v4.

Anyhow, that given, a max port is a pretty unlikely event I think, sorry... But just to clue you in on the whole weighting thing...

The tools don't auto weight your mesh in any way, but really, there's no need to. LWs skinning allows for weight free deformation. Obviously this can sometimes cause overlapping influence (like left/right legs affecting each other)... so with these tools all the user has to do is paint some very broad (and to be fair pretty rough) isolation maps just to define whole "parts" rather than each and every bone. Takes 10 mins, and the deform system presets do the rest.

So the quick, easy weighting/skinning is very much based on something that's a fundamental part of how LW works, so couldnt be ported as part of the toolset anyhow.

Im glad you found something that looked interesting and worth having though, even if it cant be attributed to my doings.

Cheers.

MarkInTx
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Wow, some incredible stuff there for sure! Good work. (If NewTek hasn't already contacted you about buying it and making it part of their standard release, they're idiots...)

A couple of questions:

1) It may be easy to use... but I'm betting the Hulk character wasn't set up in 15 minutes... will you have advanced tutorials for things like that?
2) The speed when multiple rigs are active is a real concern. I'm not familiar with Lightwave... can this problem be beat somewhat with a 64BIT system and Gobs of memory?
3) Have you done anything with importing motions from JimmyRIg and applying it to the Rhiggit Rig? I was wondering how they woul dwork together...
(Jimmy|RIG (http://www.origamidigital.com/typolight/index.php/home.html))

PentamiterBeast
04-20-2011, 08:34 PM
1 - No, you're right, he wasn't... It was more like 20 mins. Half an hour if ur doing him on ur coffe/fag break (seriously). If you wanna pick through the process download the demo (which includes the docs) and also the accompanying vids... it explains a lot about all the lil tweaks that can be made n such, giving you a good idea of how long you'd spend at it.

2 - Not really. I mean, as Im sure we're all aware, all packages slow down with more complex rigs, and also slow even more with multiple complex rigs. LW is admittedly a bit of a poorer performer to this end. However, there's a lot of stuff thats shot dependent... In the example in the vid, im using the medium complexity rigs for both characters, had I used the quadruped version that features IK only limbs (no IKFK switching) then things would have been faster, so using different templates on different shots helps with optimisation. You could also take the time to setup proxy geometry wihch would speed things up more too, and also my recording software I was running to record the video was cutting my frame rate down by about 40% plus the demo's done on a 2.4GHz core2duo... faster cpus would give marked performance boost too.

Also, going back to LWs handling, ro evaluation of complex rigs, the developers of LW are looking at speeding it up further in this respect, atm, rig evaluation is only single threaded, so there's plenty of opportunity for upcoming improvement.

3 - Nope havent tried jimmyrig... but that just uses a regular fbx mocap hierarchy right? If so, then its the same as it plays with importing motions from motionbuilder, animeeple, etc, and should work fine. If a given skeleton can be sent to MB and be characterised... then it'll work.

fusedgore
04-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Bring this to maya please.

tburbage3
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I was very impressed by the amount of thought you obviously put into this project, including thinking through how your tool would fit into an ecosystem which might include other animation related built-in as well as 3rd party tools.

It looks excellent. I'm a little surprised Rob, Lino, and BustyKelp haven't chimed in.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.