PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic joint chain

becken
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Helo!

I am trying to create a dynamic joint chain that can be moved from both ends as a cable or rope using controllers that will be parented to opposite geometry.

In The Art of Rigging Vol. II, chapter 3_video 3, they explain how to use the script to create this dynamic chain but with Maya 2010 it doesnīt work.

In The Art of Rigging Vol. I, chapter 3_exrcise 3.1, they explain how to create the dynamic chain step by step. What they donīt do is explain how to constraint the tip of the chain to a control to move it as we which. (It is possible as in Vol. II you can see how he moves the tip of the chain after using the script)

I have tried doing a parent and point constraint to de last joint or to the spline IK but it doesnīt work.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thank you!!

nuternativ
04-21-2011, 02:16 AM
hi,
The script 'cgTkDynChain' or something?

to get it to work with maya 2009 or higher you have to edit line 87

that says....

makeCurveDynamicHairs;

TO

makeCurveDynamicHairs 0 1 0;

the 0 1 0 means to check (or uncheck) each check box in the option box of 'make selected curve dynamic' in the hair menu of the dynamic tab. I'm not sure if 0 1 0 is the defult value maybe you try reset the the option and see what's checked. Since maya 2009 thay add options for this command, I guess the script was wrote before the update.

To hang the wire to something, point constraint to a joint near by should work fine.

becken
04-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Thank you nuternativ for your reply. I have changed the parameters you suggested but it doesn't work.
It creates an error :// Error: Number of arguments on call to makeCurvesDynamicHairs does not match number of parameters in procedure definition.

I have managed to create the dynamic joint chain manualy, which is positive as I have learnt many things in the prosses.

In any case I am not going to use this method because the cable goes crasy when I push up its stifness and during animation it will give me more problems than solutions.

Any how, thank you very much for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2011, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.