PDA

View Full Version : My new animation

groovetube
04-19-2011, 05:37 AM
hey Hey Guys,

i have just finished a short short and i thought i would share .

any comments welcome!!

Many thanks for looking!

http://vimeo.com/22422170

SoulArcanium
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
This is pretty cool but I think I would enjoy it much more if I was high :)
How much time did it take you to create the whole thing?
I think that the frame rate is a little slow. It seems like you cchanged the fps in After Effects.

Also, check out my, pretty much first, 3D animation. I'd like the opoinion of someone that worked with Maya for more than a week ^ ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARbhLHg7dyc

groovetube
04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
yes thanks for that.!

i just watched yours. you rendered this with maya software? not Mental Ray? just curious why?

Nice animation , a bit dark! How long have you been using Maya?

My project probably took about a year. , but i was doing about six other projects at the same time. Most of my time was with the render. I couldnt use FG in this scene because it was taking 5 Hrs to render each frame and there were 850.! so i only used GI with photons mapped to a point light attached to the camera , which produed "some" bounced light but only took 1.5 hrs rener each frame.

SoulArcanium
04-21-2011, 10:46 AM
I been using Maya for 6 days actually. I been interested in it for a long time but was just too busy with other stuff IRL. Thats why I started from basics.
Digital tutors helped me out a lot, otherwise I wouldnt be able to finish this animation in such a short period of time.

I rendered the animation parts with maya software because I still lack knowledge about the mental ray, its options and It would take like a day for me to render both perspectives in mental ray.

SoulArcanium
04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
thanks for sharing my dear.

That's creepy.

groovetube
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
wheres that other one gone?

groovetube
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
thanks for all of the feedback...

just thought i would up a still of my next animation...

well i was going to.. too difficult to upload ANYTHING on this site..

SoulArcanium
05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Create a flickr account or something. Although I cant understand why you cant upload the stills

groovetube
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
yeah you have to upload elsewhere then provide a link.. in my opinion thats a bit "yesterday"..

Else where on cg forums you can just imbed it in the message directly.

seems youre the only one on this forum... ha

i also had lots of issues with the last challenge on here , it was next to impossiable to upload anything for that. It starts to be come quite frustrating.

SoulArcanium
05-03-2011, 06:20 PM
ImageShack seems to be a pretty good place for that. You dont need to register at all

groovetube
06-21-2011, 02:38 AM
just to let you guys know of some updates to my next animation..

you can see a few screens here:

http://shadowship.blogspot.com/

Will-Dream
06-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I couldnt use FG in this scene because it was taking 5 Hrs to render each frame

I may be a complete beginner but when I see your animation I can't stop myself from thinking that you have a very big optimization problem. 5 hours for the result you have it seems crazy.

groovetube
06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
well without Final gather it was taking about 2 hrs per frame. with all of the 2k textures , particles, incadenance , reflectivity and transparencies not to mention all of the lights with soft shadows.

when i had loaded the batch render my ram had topped out at 7gbs , so there was ALOT of infomation there.

also in recent versions of maya the performance has dropped quite drastically because of video drivers and such.( i really have to get that 580!).

Even when you delete all history on every object and run the optimize scene command AND delete all un used nodes its still a very heavy scene. There is also issues with using sculpted meshes from ZBrush. This is also a double edge sword. You can either use sub-division a proxymation on them so that the displacement maps render better , or import a higher poly count mesh to get all of that nice sculpted artwork, but this causes the scene to become VERY heavy and thus render longer.

Now with the latest Maya they have introduced a "linear" work flow to the rendering which would mean the FG would probably take even longer.

groovetube
06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
what i find amazing is that only 2 people commented on this where as 1200 people looked at it..

It must be rubbish..

CHRiTTeR
06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
i kinda like it, but you could make it look so much better if you put a bit more time in modeling and rendering

JoshKirk
06-29-2011, 10:31 PM
dude getting people to comment here anymore is worse than pulling teeth

groovetube
06-30-2011, 12:07 AM
well i am just realising this. i thought that i would get some C and C on here. I must have been naive to think that. Its difficult as a lone artist who lives miles away from anything to get SOME feedback , even if its from total strangers, but its not very good to rely on this as most of the time the responses are negetive ones.

SoulArcanium
06-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I am curious as to why you posted it here. This forum section is not for helping you improve your animation. This section is mainly to help people with technical aspects and issues. You should post it into "finished Animation" section

groovetube
06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
it is man. look at the top.

SoulArcanium
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Did the moderator move it?

Michael5188
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Well if you want more comments I suppose I'll partake. I should preface this by saying maybe it just isn't my thing... but then that's a cop out for any piece of art.

I didn't like it. The rendering had a lot of mistakes and flickering artifacts throughout. The shapes and design seems completely random and without any thought, as if a bunch of funky looking models were just thrown together. The colors are just as random, and in my opinion look unappealing. Half of the objects have a lo-res texture slapped on, and between blurry textures you have extreme reflections on just about every wall.

There are a few aspects in this I really like, but their ruined by the muddled compositions and choices. I feel like you could do some really cool work if you paid attention to focusing it. You've got multiple aesthetics all crammed into this, take one and run with it.

Or maybe this just isn't my thing...

groovetube
07-02-2011, 04:19 AM
well thats good man , finally some contructive comments . Its only taken 3 months.

Anyway, i would agree with your points. This is my very first animation so it took over a year to make and i was learning as i went and i kept adding more and more. This originally only started with an anatomy study.!

If you check out the blog thats attached to this you can see a bit more. As far as the textures go they are all 2k. and you can only really see them in the stills.

Alot of detail has been lost when the stills were rendered out in after effects.

Unfortunatly when i went to render the stills with Final Gather and set the rez to 1080 the still was taking 5 hrs each to render and i had 850. I also had set the render to 12fps which made the movie "jerky". setting to 24 would have taken 3 months to render -too long..

many thanks for your POV..

groovetube
09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
hey hey guys...

i have just started another animation project so heres some updates:

http://shadowship.blogspot.com/

and suggestion,comments, crits most welcome...

thanks for looking

livingsoul12066
09-21-2011, 04:31 AM
It looks pretty creative, but you might want to turn down the reflectiveness in a couple shots here. The camera isn't really the best "actor" either, but that's more up to you on how you want to use it. Good luck!

groovetube
12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
yeah i had major issues with the motion path that was attached to the camera

astroboii
12-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Trippy az mate.....I can see you put some time into it though.......

groovetube
03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
thanks for your feedback dudes..

theres some more artwork at :

http://shadowship.blogspot.co.uk/

groovetube
05-01-2012, 12:14 AM
thank you all for your feedback.. i am now working on another short and will post some shots soon..!! check some wips @ the address below cheers

cheer3d
05-02-2012, 02:55 PM
what a **** goverment , we can not visit vimeo and youtube!!

PU328
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
unfortunate... we can not visit youtube and vimeo

groovetube
08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
you can see some screenshots @ my blog ..

http://shadowship.blogspot.co.uk/

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.