PDA

View Full Version : average modelling times

asteval
10-23-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm just getting into 3d and starting to put together my own stuff. But, how long on average does it take you to model something? So how long for a car, a human head, a cartoon, etc. Just wondering this becasue my last model took me like 1 and a half hours and i'm wondering if this is average for an absolute beginner to model something like this.->
http://www.deviantart.com/view/3500245/
So my question is how long does it take you to model stuff now at a professional level (looking at the finished model section most of you are ;) ) ,and how long did it take you to model stuff when you were just starting in 3d?
Some of that finished work is amazing and i'm sure it must take you weeks!:cool:

jmcalpin
10-24-2003, 04:52 PM
It takes me about 10 hours to do a good looking head. But I stop and start alot so I am not sure that is an accurate time. I'm sure I could do a decent head in half that time.
It takes me about 10 hours to do the rest of the body. Including some clothes.

UV mapping with the right plugins takes 2-3 hours

Jay

Goon
10-24-2003, 06:33 PM
I don't think how much time a beginner takes to make his model is relevant. You should work on it until you are satisfied and think you can do no better. Don't compare yourself to your peers, its pointless as a beginner.

Just to perpetuate rumors and myth, but i've heard Bay Raitt can knock out a head in an hour. I'm not sure how finished this head would be, but I'm pretty sure it would be for all intents and purposes looking quite good by the end.

So that is definitely something to shoot for. But keep in mind that he is insanely good. I doubt that many people, including him have a finished complex model in less than 20hrs.

Proton apparently makes a model a day just for fun. But at the same time he tends towards cartoonish, simple creations.

So depending upon the detail of the creation and the skill of the creator it can take some time. The maker of Yoda in SWII spent a year making him. Your finished when you are done/satisfied/out of time.

actarusprocyon
10-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't take much time,it personally has to do with my mood,motivation to achieve it,music playing and probably how much pizza I've had...

Seriously it shouldn't matter as said above,just practice over and over and as you'll repeat modeling figures and objects,you'll only do it faster from time to time.

Bay must've practiced for a long period of time but he has been an accomplished artist for even longer.

Hydra
10-24-2003, 09:46 PM
I think I'm still classified as a beginner since I have probably never really finished anything off. just left it when I get some new idea or just bored by it.

but just for the fun of it and practice I started to race with myself setting up goals that I should reach within a certain time. after a model or two I whipped up this head fully textured (spec, bump, inca, color etc), uv mapped and face rigged in just 2 hours from scratch, I'm pretty proud of it, even though its an ugly model :)

It's not really finished and got no detail. it was partly made for practice.

http://x.organiccrap.com/_users/fred/girl1.jpg
http://x.organiccrap.com/_users/fred/girl2.jpg

/edit
forgot to mention: on avarage I get a head done in 5-8 hours, depending how problematic it is to tweak. textures probably about 2-3 hours again depending on the details. I find cloth the most difficult to paint.

asteval
10-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Why do you reckon it is pointless comparing modelling times as a beginner? I suppose I kind of agree with you but if a model is taking days and your are working on it a couple of hours per day at what point it is time to move on and learn something else? Understanding how long the average beginner took to model gives you an idea of when this time is and I often find it difficult in choosing when to call the model finished. Any ideas?

jmcalpin
10-25-2003, 12:45 AM
It's time to move on when you say it is time. There is no real set amount of time just set a goal and learn from it.

A week, a month, an hour it does not matter. just critique yourself at the end and see what you need to get to the next level. Then spend a little time learning it then start the next model or fix the previous one.

That's about all there is to it.

time is up to you.

Jay

Goon
10-25-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by asteval
Why do you reckon it is pointless comparing modelling times as a beginner? I suppose I kind of agree with you but if a model is taking days and your are working on it a couple of hours per day at what point it is time to move on and learn something else? Understanding how long the average beginner took to model gives you an idea of when this time is and I often find it difficult in choosing when to call the model finished. Any ideas?

Cus you are all learning the tools and figuring out what you are doing. This will make you slower. Plus the level of variation between times is more likely dependant upon that particular person's knowledge of the program, how many times they messed up, how clear in their mind it was what they should do. Its not that these factors don't impact the more experienced, its just that their effect is more limited. You are in a stage of learning. Sure it shouldnt take you 48 hours to make what you showed, but how long it takes you is more of a factor of your newness to 3d than it is the actual workload the model requires. It should be of no real concern how long it takes you so long as you work towards the level of satisfaction/quality that tells you it is done. I'm a student, I have deadlines on my assignments. Proffesionals have deadliens on theirs. Time matters there. Corners have to be cut in order to reach them. Otherwise, work until you decide you are done.

j3st3r
10-25-2003, 07:33 PM
For heads, it used to take me 2-5 hours to accomplish with modelling. Most of them belongs to rather 2-3 hours, but there used to be somtimes, when I have to edit this for an additional hour, when the client says "Ooops, I changed my mind, I rather need some brutal face, instead of this handsome character". In my last two project head took about 2-3 hours, one hour or less to UV, and a day or so making textures. Shading took another day. And when I speak of day, I think of a full working day, not 2 hours per day.

It takes time, to work out "techniques", and mastering your technique helps you to accomplish your goal.

dwin
10-26-2003, 12:33 AM
I think time is not a measure. I think I'll take more time than you.
Just do it until satisfy with the result.:)

j3st3r
10-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Sure, it depends on circumstances, like deadline, etc. Anyway, I used to be satisfied with my head after 2-3 hours...Ok, during texturing it is needed sometimes to adjust the model, because shading used to reveal mistakes...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.