PDA

View Full Version : How to apply secondary motion onto a character rig?

Sphervotic
04-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,

I've recently been studying on some rigging techniques and something that caught my eye was the idea of secondary motion on character rigs for use in games. I've found a video guide that explains the principle and how to do it on a simple single joint chain skinned to a cylinder, however I'm wondering how I could apply this on say the abdomen or the shoulder of a human character to add that extra deformation when you would lift your arm above the horizon above your shoulder, and then being able to apply it as a set driven key. Any help offered would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Sphervotic

dunkelzahn
04-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Itīs quite easy actually. Basically your friends here are:

Maya = Driven Keys
3DS Max = Wire Parameters

Use simple functions like "if joint#1 rotation 90 degree then do joint #2 rotation = joint#1 divided by 3" to add automated motions. Add some sort of physics and reactor for added wiggle and swing and you should be set for a good start.

Have fun

Chris

Sphervotic
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the reply Chris, unfortunately that's not quite the answer I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows how to setup secondary motion deformation through joints on more complex rigs such as a human arm and then applying movements such as bicep/tricep curls as set driven keys such that if you moved the arm control to a certain degree it would trigger the secondary joint motion and give the illusion of a muscle system.

xfon5168
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris, unfortunately that's not quite the answer I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows how to setup secondary motion deformation through joints on more complex rigs such as a human arm and then applying movements such as bicep/tricep curls as set driven keys such that if you moved the arm control to a certain degree it would trigger the secondary joint motion and give the illusion of a muscle system.

I think Set Driven Keys are exactly the same thing. This would allow you to drive the secondary joint(the one that is supposed to be your bicep) drive it's scale by the rotation of your forearm joint. So as it reaches 90 degrees the bicep muscle joint will scale to like 1.25 on an axis.

Either this or using Pose Space Deformations to do it but SDKs are a lot easier to set up(though a bit more limited)

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.