PDA

View Full Version : Rendering an animation not working

disrupter52
04-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey guys, Im having a really obnoxious problem.

I set up 300 frames to render at 1920 x 1080. Took like 8 hours to render. Not a big deal (it went overnight). My render options are all defaulted, with added Surface Caustics and default GI settings. (i added in GI and then didnt augment the settings at all). So it rendered. Each frame is visible in the picture viewer as slightly different the way an animation should be. HOWEVER, the play back is a choppy awful nightmare. It only plays like every 30 frames and only for like 2 seconds.

So it might play frames 1-5, jump to 32, play 32-37, jump to 64, play 64-70 etc down the line. I think it may or may not have something to do with caching but i dont even know enough about it to make that determination. Its just a guess. I base it on the 5 boxes along the side of the picture viewer. Name, FPS, Resolution, R, Render. The circles in the R column are either green or grey. The green ones seem to actually render and animate properly. The grey ones dont. I can click them all one by one, but they never all stay lit up. Im not sure what that actually means, but i have a feeling that whatever correlates to those circles doesnt work or is set wrong for what i need done.

So, why the hell doesnt it rendering out every damn frame AND convert it into a smoothly animated movie file?

Srek
04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
I take it you are watching the images as a sequence in the picture viewer?
If yes you need quite a bit of memory assigned to it to play back uncompressed HD smoothly, not to talk about having a beefy CPU.
We are talking about playing back 1.8 GB of raw image data.
Cheers
Björn

disrupter52
04-15-2011, 06:01 PM
The computer im using has 2 2.93 ghx Quad core processors. Totaling 8 cores. It also has 6 gigs of RAM and terabytes of HDD space.

To my knowledge, that should be plenty, but clearly something somewhere is not enough.

Now when i mess with the playback in picture viewer, it wont cache anything new and it seems like i have to completely re-render it.

And now i just deleted the whole render..........

So how can i set this up again to render properly, starting from scratch, at that resolution over that many frames?

tcastudios
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
You may up the default Memory allocation for the PictureViewer
in Prefs and as long as you render is less than that allocation
the playback should be smooth.

I have my pref set to 8GB (half of my physical RAM) to be able to compare renders.
Sometime up it even more when needed.

Cheers
Lennart

Srek
04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm not fully sure what your problem is currently. Is it realy important for you to play back the rendered raw images in the pictureviewer, or is this about rendering it at all?
If you enable saving the rendered frames you will not need to render again, no matter what cache size you use.
If you relay lost rendered images than you did not assign enough RAM to the picture viewer (at least about 2 GB in your case) and at the same time the location the cache path points add did not have enough space to save the images that did not fit into RAM.
For playback of HD sequences i would realy convert the single frames to a MP4 video and play it back in a common player
Cheers
Björn

disrupter52
04-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm not fully sure what your problem is currently. Is it realy important for you to play back the rendered raw images in the pictureviewer, or is this about rendering it at all?
If you enable saving the rendered frames you will not need to render again, no matter what cache size you use.

Its about rendering it at all. I rendered originally to a quicktime movie which was identical to the picture viewer in that they were both choppy, awful, and not what i wanted.

If you relay lost rendered images than you did not assign enough RAM to the picture viewer (at least about 2 GB in your case) and at the same time the location the cache path points add did not have enough space to save the images that did not fit into RAM.
For playback of HD sequences i would realy convert the single frames to a MP4 video and play it back in a common player
Cheers
Björn

Ill have to go back at set it up with more RAM and check to see that the cache has enough space.

Srek
04-16-2011, 04:47 AM
If it shows in the finaly rendered animation you have a different problem than PV cache or similar.
If possible please post the scene, maybe Maxon techsupport can help, they will need the seen as well. Without it there is not much hope to find the problem.
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2011, 04:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.