PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Character Animation with Blender 2nd Edition is out

TonyMullen
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Everybody,

I wanted to let people know that at long, long last, Introducing Character Animation with Blender, 2nd Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Character-Animation-Blender-Mullen/dp/047042737X) is available. This edition is up to date for Blender 2.5. It covers a lot of new things, including the awesome Rigify add-on, mesh modifiers, working with the Dope Sheet, libraries and proxies, and much more. It also contains several chapters dealing with the making of the Blender Foundation open movies, including a chapter of interviews with the creators of Sintel.

The training content follows the same overall format as the previous edition, so people should be aware that this book also covers character modeling, texturing, and rigging rather than being focused narrowly on animation as the title implies.

I hope people like it!

Tony

ctguitars
04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Any break for people who bought the last "Introducing Character Animation with Blender" :D

Just chancing :D -

Is general content of the new book same as previous one? As in does one end up with duplication?

Aidan

TonyMullen
04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Any break for people who bought the last "Introducing Character Animation with Blender" :D

Just chancing :D -

Not that I've heard ;)

Is general content of the new book same as previous one? As in does one end up with duplication?

Aidan

The general content is pretty much the same. You model, rig and animate essentially the same character (somewhat re-worked). But Blender 2.5 is so different that most of the book was completely re-written from scratch. So in terms of actual duplication there's very little. The first edition had already gotten pretty outdated for later 2.4* versions, and since then both the UI and animation system have been completely redone. Rigging with the Rigify add-on also makes a world of difference.

If you haven't already downloaded 2.57 I'd recommend doing that and making the decision based on how comfortable you feel with it.

ctguitars
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I have been building/rolling my own since 2.5 came out :D

i also bought your last book - just wanted to get a feel for the difference.

I bought like this before on another topic and ended up with two chapters at the end beiong different, all the rest was the same.

I will b ordering
Aidan

Venkman
04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Is there a digital version as well? I don't mean a kindle version, I mean something that comes with the cd-rom source files. I'd love to have it on my computer in a version I could search for reference.

TonyMullen
04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Is there a digital version as well? I don't mean a kindle version, I mean something that comes with the cd-rom source files. I'd love to have it on my computer in a version I could search for reference

This time around, there won't be a CD/DVD. All the support files will be available straight from the Sybex website for the book.

In the past I've always posted the support files somewhere public. If you want links to those for older books let me know.

Venkman
04-15-2011, 05:49 PM
This time around, there won't be a CD/DVD. All the support files will be available straight from the Sybex website for the book.

In the past I've always posted the support files somewhere public. If you want links to those for older books let me know.

hey, that's perfect. I can get the kindle version and access the files online. Thanks!

ctguitars
04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
J u S T
B o u G h T .. Ed

A i D a N

tyrantmonkey
04-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Are the photos in color in this edition? Some of the reviews I read of the last edition seemed to say that this was a significant problem as it could quiet hard at times to see what was going on.

ShaderOp
04-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Does anyone know how good the digital edition is? All the technical or illustration-heavy kindle books I have bought so far have been somewhere between extremely confusing or utterly useless.

XeroWolf
04-19-2011, 02:32 AM
I got the first one and I'll get this edition for sure. :thumbsup:

TonyMullen
04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Are the photos in color in this edition? Some of the reviews I read of the last edition seemed to say that this was a significant problem as it could quiet hard at times to see what was going on.

The book is black and white with a color gallery insert. The resolution and print quality are quite good, and I had only a few complaints with the previous edition about some hard-to-see vertices in some of the modeling process shots. In the new edition I set the vertices to display larger, so I think that problem should be taken care of.

Does anyone know how good the digital edition is? All the technical or illustration-heavy kindle books I have bought so far have been somewhere between extremely confusing or utterly useless.

I'm personally not wild about the small screen and middling picture quality on Kindles. I haven't seen my own book on a Kindle, though, so I can't comment.

Rhs_CG
04-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey Tony, any idea why the kindle version isn't coming out until May? Do you know if the publisher or anyone else will sell a digital version before then?

For thus kind of book, actually using a kindle isn't the best, but the desktop and iPad apps are great for these kinds of books with lots of pictures and frequent moving around different parts of the book, whereas the kindle device is best suited for reading novels straight through.

Thanks!

tyrantmonkey
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I ordered the book already so I guess I will be finding out soon if the black and white pics are hard to read or not. The animation system in blender has changed and good comprehensive documentation is currently hard to find so I factored that in when I decided to order. Plus I seriously want to get into animation so I don't think black and white photos would deter me.

Hopefully there is an update on your physics and simulation book as I would really like to pick up an updated copy of that too.

cheers and I hope you book does well.

cresshead
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
support site on amazon is listed wrong it's here:

http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexTitle/Introducing-Character-Animation-with-Blender-2nd-Edition.productCd-047042737X.html

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.