PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor Issue, Help

hawk
10-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Ok, i'm starting to teach myself how to use painter. So last night I started to color one of my sketches in painter 8 using the new digital water color. i have the sketch in one layer and the coloring on another layer above the sketch. now last night i saved the file as .riff, closed the app and went to bed. i wake up this morning and find the water color layer dried. am i missing something? is that suppose to happen?

Jinbrown
10-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi hawk,

That's how Painter 8 currently works with Digital Water Colors, unfortunately.

Question:

Why are you painting on a Layer above your line work? Is is because the line work has a white background and you can't see through it? If so, here's a better way to work so your linework will always look crisp and black:

If your linework is on the Canvas, use Select > All (or Ctrl/Command+A) to select the entire Canvas.

Click the "F" key to activate the Layer Adjuster tool.

Click inside the selection to lift the Canvas to a Layer.

Change the Layer's Composite Method to Gel (top of the Layers palette, choose Gel from the Composite Method drop down list which is the left drop down list in Painter 8).

Now your linework's white background is transparent and you can see to continue painting on the Layer below (or multiple Layers below.. or the Canvas too, which is now blank again).

If your linework is already on a Layer, just change its Composite Method to Gel and drag the Layer up the Layers list above your painting Layer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.