PDA

View Full Version : Rig re-use across variants of the same mesh

Vectroid
04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi guys!
I'm not a complete noob at this, I've modeling, rigged and skinned a character before in 3ds Max but this technical challenge is making my brain hurt :P I did take a look at the pinned thread about rig re-use but there are some points where I'm still lost.
Ok so I'm making several variants of 2 meshes (vertex count not the same), one human male model and one female one, with the big changes being only in clothing (modeling in, not overlayed on top of the base model) so I'll have about 5 male variants with 5 different clothing sets and same for the female model and my question is:
I want to use the same rig for all of these models (yep, male and female sharing a single rig) but I have never done this before and I'm not exactly sure where to start. Do I overlap all the models in a single spot, add a skin modifier on them and link them all to the same bones then tweak the envelopes? I'm not sure if it even works that way, I'm kind of stuck at that point i guess. Would you guys be able to help me wrap my head around this problem and possibly point me towards a solution? Thanks guys.

TravisRamsdale
04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Basically what you said would work fine. Import your meshes into your rig file and skin them all. I know it's not very fancy but it does the job. Then you're using one rig and it's just a matter of hiding the meshes that you don't need.

Good luck. Trav.

DanLane
04-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Also look into the skinwrap modifier it will let you transfer skin weighting or atleast give you a good start.

Cheers

Dan

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2011, 09:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.