PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Reel

thebeesknees
04-12-2011, 08:56 PM
My first attempt at making a rigging reel, I've worked a bit but still don't seem to have the hang of properly showcasing my work.

Any feedback on the rigging or the reel-making would be welcome!

http://vimeo.com/13622609

hkbasravi
04-15-2011, 02:19 AM
You're doing good work. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get more and more refined as far as showcasing is concerned.

I was recently having this problem at work too. I spent much time on a model, and it was the most detailed and neatly rigged and wired, however, I am now struggling on how to present it in a video format. It's not easy because it takes a different thought process.

Think of it like framing an artwork. Take a look at some motion graphics work that might help.

thebeesknees
04-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks Haider, it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this type of issue. I'll definitely see if I can use motion graphics or a combination of stills and video to show my work better.

Though, as a rigging artist, what do you think I need to add to my reel to be a full-fledged rigger?
Most of this is student work and I feel like I'm possibly missing key elements somewhere.

I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions you may have.

hkbasravi
04-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I can't recall, but I don't think I saw any facial animations and lip sync that were done in high detail.

NolanSW
05-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Having just commented on someone else's rigging reel I feel I should reiterate some of the same things I said there.

You've got many of the elements there but I don't think you're presenting them in a format that will best show your skills.

I get really tired of seeing the whole control rig wiggle thing. This shows me nothing. It doesn't show any range of motion. I'd like to see how well you preserve volume in trouble spots such as the shoulders, torso, hips, elbows and knees. These areas are hard to refine and make believable to a characters design.

You show some animation but it's so short it's hard to tell what's going on. Keep the shots simple and easy to understand.

Yes, control rigs are important and they are the mechanism for which the animator interacts with the character. But keep in mind that control rigs are not seen in a film or game. It's the final skin deformations that will be seen. The true artistry of rigging comes from knowing anatomy and translating that into believable movement and deformations that fit the character design. If a character deforms believable then it's fair to say that foundation is solid (control rig).

Cheers,
-Sean

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2011, 05:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.