PDA

View Full Version : The "Artistic" Reel?

thebeesknees
04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I've been hearing a lot lately about how it's important to show past artwork and photography and whatnot in one's demo-reel... to prove that you're a well-rounded artist?

I don't think this is the best job ever, but I'm getting very confused as to how to keep something like this short and sweet and at the same time try to show a range of skills, both 2D and 3D.

Take a look! Any critiques are welcome!

http://vimeo.com/21377510

stuh505
04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Whatever pieces you put in your demo reel are going to be used to judge your abilities as an artist. If you show 1 amazing piece of artwork then they assume you are an amazing artist, although perhaps a very slow meticulous worker. If you show several amazing pieces, then you look like a great artist who works at a more regular pace. If you show an amazing original concept art, followed by amazing model and texture, followed by amazing rigging and animation, followed by amazing full battle scene incorporating these models...then you look amazingly talented on all fronts.

But if you show an amazing piece, a bad piece, and a mediocre piece, then the viewer will essentially average the quality of all those pieces and view you as a mediocre artist. In other words, I think it's better to show your greatest talent rather than diversity, because if you show a few amazing things, we assume everything you do is amazing...but as soon as you start showing some less-than-amazing examples, we assume you are less than an amazing artist. I don't think you need more than 1 example in a "category" to show that you can do that category. So, no need for more than 1 concept sketch IMO. Some of the lesser concepts are bringing the overall quality down.

The photography at the end is not bad photography but it seemed very much out of place to me for a CG demo reel.

Overall the reel felt a bit disorganized to me. It might help to have a song with a bit better buildup. The most impressive piece to me was the rigging of the lion, which looked really real and animalistic....good job!

Wiro
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
First of all you should identify who you want to reach with your reel. Are you trying for an animation position? Rigging? The reel seems quite all over the place and why does it open with a bunch of 2d drawings?

First of all you should pick out your very best work. Stuh505 is right, you need to keep the quality average as high as you can. The range you got now is huge, some looks outright amateurish and other looks quite good. Out of the best you have, put the best first, then the weakest, then the second best to finish off the reel on a good note.

I you want to add in 2d work and photos, pick out the best 2-3 of each and put them in the end only, maybe together with the credits.

Even if it cuts down your reel to a minute it'll look better and tighter than what you have now.

Wiro

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.