PDA

View Full Version : Head Modeling Assistance


dfusion
10-23-2003, 09:04 AM
I wanted to follow this head modeling tutorial on Newtek's web site. After downloading and playing the AVI (DIVX) there is no audio and it plays super fast! Can anyone tell me if this is the way it's supposed to be or is my machine choking? It really looks like and awesome tutorial.

Link to tutorial page here (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/headmodeling/index.html)

Thanks,
-d

tejani
10-23-2003, 09:08 AM
the video without sound
your machine is good

TheFreak
10-23-2003, 09:44 AM
yea, there is no sound and it has been speeded up so you don't have to wait the X amount of hours to whtch it being made :)

But MAN is that fast!!!! :)

SplineGod
10-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by dfusion
I wanted to follow this head modeling tutorial on Newtek's web site. After downloading and playing the AVI (DIVX) there is no audio and it plays super fast! Can anyone tell me if this is the way it's supposed to be or is my machine choking? It really looks like and awesome tutorial.

Link to tutorial page here (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/headmodeling/index.html)

Thanks,
-d
You can also take a look on my site for some free videos with sound that show the basics of getting a head going. Follow the link in my signature. :)

dfusion
10-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by dfusion
Link to tutorial page here (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/headmodeling/index.html)

[/B]


Since I'm new to Lightwave and this video is playing at 4x the speed, can someone tell me what tools he is using when adding more geometry? Would it be the knife tool? The more I watch it, the more I break it down in my head and it's all making sense. Just can't figure out the adding geometry part..

Splinegod - I'm downloading some clips now. Thanks for the freebies!!

:thumbsup:

SplineGod
10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by dfusion

Splinegod - I'm downloading some clips now. Thanks for the freebies!!

:thumbsup:
Great! Let me know if you have problems or questions. :)

CIM
10-23-2003, 08:18 PM
First off, dont just go blindly jumping into modeling heads, especially from mostly bad, uninformative tutorials. Go learn about human anatomy and what edge loops and topology are. Gather reference pictures, such as muscle structure and head shot model sheets.

After you have knowledge of all the basics, then check out other ppls. methods for modeling, and decide which will let you achieve proper proportions, topology, edge loops, etc. the best way.

You can't build a good house without a good foundation!

Great sites to learn or gather from:

http://www.metagons.com
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php

http://www.fineart.sk

wgreenlee1
10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by dfusion
Since I'm new to Lightwave and this video is playing at 4x the speed, can someone tell me what tools he is using when adding more geometry? Would it be the knife tool? The more I watch it, the more I break it down in my head and it's all making sense. Just can't figure out the adding geometry part..

Splinegod - I'm downloading some clips now. Thanks for the freebies!!

:thumbsup:

cant you hit pause and just scrub it?:wip:

dfusion
10-23-2003, 09:02 PM
i can hit pause and scrub but he is using keyboard shortcuts for everything so there is no way to know what tool he is using. He is not using numerics either.

just my luck.. one kick ass video to learn from but it's got no audio and in hyper mode! lol.. I am picking up a few tips from watching it over and over, at least in regards to box modeling. but it's just too fast especially around the ear. even if it was double speed that would be ok, but it's like 4x or maybe 8x the speed! heh

-d

SplineGod
10-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Cims got a good point.
Collect as much reference as you can. Put a mirror next to your monitor. Become intimately familiar with facial anatomy. This will guide you with where to put geometry or adjust flow to mimic that anatomy. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.