PDA

View Full Version : The Reel Issue!??

thebeesknees
04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
So, I'm a little frustrated. While I was in school, all I heard was, "keep it short and to the point" and I think I did that at first, until I started hearing that I needed to display a range of work.
Then I started finding all these requirements where I was supposed to add everything from artwork to photography to schoolwork and...

Anyway, before I go totally bald from pulling my hair out. I need advice!!
Please take a look!

http://vimeo.com/21377510

muskie4242
04-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't have experience as an employer, but as a fellow student, here is what we have been taught about the presentation of our reels;

1. Show an employer exactly what you are looking to be hired for. If you want to be an animator, then show your animation. Nothing more.

2. Employers generally have hundreds of reels to sort through every month. They likely will not sit and concentrate on everything put in front of them. They too have deadlines to meet. Therefor, short and direct is a good way to go.

3. Render your work, build simple environments for your characters, and use interesting camera angles. The overall presentation is just as important as your animation is.

4. At my school we are told to do three animations that our entire reel is centered around.
-a character telling a short story by performing an action
-a character speaking a dialogue
-two or more characters telling a short story by interacting with each other
Each is approximately 8-12 seconds long.

I really hope this helps. Please just remember to take my advice with a grain of salt. I am without any direct experience. Best of luck.

thebeesknees
04-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you, that was one of the clearest descriptions I've gotten. I'll definitely pick out a few and rebuild something cleaner.

My follow-up question would be, what happens once you start adding professional work?
Does the reel get longer?

And, like in this case, I was creating a reel for a job that specifically asked for a display of traditional art too. But it's insane trying to show everything in one go.

Sorry to be peppering you with questions, but I've been out of school a few months and I think I've only managed to get more confused.

muskie4242
04-14-2011, 07:30 PM
http://dananimation.com/

http://vimeo.com/13636699

These are examples of animators that graduated from my degree program about 5 years ago. Both have become very successful working animators. In Dan's case he did simply add his professional work along side his student work. Kiel decided not to.

At the end of the day, if you feel the piece accentuates what you are capable of then show it.

As for specific requests from an employer. I would say, always give them what they want. No one said you can't have multiple reels for multiple uses.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2011, 07:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.