PDA

View Full Version : Animatress in distress... looking for an alternate Bubble Motion method!

Miep
04-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi guys! Long story short: I can't use the 3DSMax-sanctioned method of creating Bubble Motion in PFlow (basically offsetting the pivot point of your instanced geometry object) for two reasons:
- I need my bubbles to spawn other bubbles (can't be done, since the Spawning seems to only happen from the particle's pivot, which is now offset!)
- I need the said bubbles to interact with a Deflector (which is also based on the location of a pivot... so the bubbles' pivots will hit the deflector either before or after the actual bubbles - not good!)

Has anyone been able to come up with a way to make particles "bob" along their paths - the way a bubble would, or a falling leaf? - without offsetting the pivot point?

Conversely, if that's the ONLY solution, has anyone been able to make the Spawning happen from a particle's actual geometry, rather than its pivot point?

Thanks in advance! :)

PsychoSilence
04-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Superspray > preset "bubble motion". shape: metaball.
You can link deflectors and/or forces to it with space warp bindings

try that!

Miep
04-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks Anselm - I tried it, but unfortunately I really need the capabilities of PFlow for this one! (It might have worked had I been animating actual bubbles, but instead, I was making underwater volcano ejecta that just happened to be drifting downwards with a bubble-like motion, so it required all kinds of other stuff, including PyroCluster, that a SuperSpray just couldn't swing)

We ended up getting around the problem by applying a spinning wind, plus some creatively scripted spinning.

Thanks again :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2011, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.