PDA

View Full Version : Weapon: Sniper Rifle

LPlasma
10-23-2003, 07:46 AM
This is my most recent weapon texture on a project I'm heading up. It's a weapon designed for a first person game. Crits (especially on the texture) would be great. Thanks.

This was done in 3D Studio MAX 5.1 and Photoshop 7
http://www.desertcrisis.com/lplasma/snip1.jpg
http://www.desertcrisis.com/lplasma/snip2.jpg
http://www.desertcrisis.com/lplasma/snippic.jpg
http://www.desertcrisis.com/lplasma/snipwire.jpg

AndyH
10-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Jeez! - Excellent work again!
Outstanding texture / UV job on this one.
But i think the red tint on the scope sight kinda looks odd. make it darker, with no white in the center.
Not that im an experienced sniper or anything, but i presume the lens would almost be black because of the lack of light its refracting inside the scope tube.
more! more!

LPlasma
10-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Heh, thanks. yet again I have to agree, the scope lens is the weak point + I acknowledge that. I was going to see what I could do shader-wise with it and redo it entirely most likely.

As for posting more stuff, I'll consider posting some more stuff, but only if I get good enough crits to warrant doing it. The project is unannounced right now so I don't really want to put this stuff on here unless the work can benefit from it enough. :D I'll consider it though, glad you like it.

Garma
10-23-2003, 08:44 PM
ey man good work here. However, for the textures, did you copy/paste photos for them? When I look at your texturemaps I say no, but I think there's too much lighting already textured in your model. It looks good for your render but in-game, when lighting comes from, for example, from the left of the gun, it'll look very weird.

Oh and one more thing. I don't know your reference, but the back seems odd to me. too box-shaped.

keep it up!

TDA_3d
10-24-2003, 11:18 PM
The only crit i have is with regards to the red scope. The scope itself is made from glass (or plastic) and even though the glass will have been coated to stop reflection, it will have a glassy specular on it. Try adding that as well as some "inner shadows", and maybe the crosshair. That should make it much cooler :)

Dargon
10-25-2003, 12:58 AM
I think the model is a bit too...

...Black and white.

Try adding a bit of colour to it. Gunmetal is often slightly greenish in hue, and if it is well taken care of, it would have "blueing" applied to it. It would also be nice for the plastic bits to have a slightly different hue than the metal.

The other crit, would be the aging. It is a pet peeve of mine, that people seem to think that in order to make metal objects, you have to scratch up every surface. If this were a real weapon, owned by a real soldier, especially something like a sniper rifle, it would be highly unlikely that it would be in as bad of shape.

To age something like a gun, which would likely be taken care or, think about how it would be used, what parts would wear down. Think about how the metal might get really smooth and shiny around the safety. Or perhaps one scratch on the barrel, that the owner tried to fix by polishing it.

The scratches all over every edge make it look like it was found at the bottom of a rock quarry, tossed down there by a sniper pissed off at the inaccuracy of it. Not a treasured weapon one would be happy to get in a game....

Just my 2 bits...

:)

LPlasma
10-25-2003, 01:02 AM
I understand you not liking the very aged/distraught look of the gun, but that is the style that goes throughout the project. I do see your point though nonetheless. I will take the hue suggestions into consideration, thanks for the good crit.

Rexxenexx
10-31-2003, 03:45 AM
Lookin' good. Only thing I would say is it does kinda look palletized, maybe theres too much noise in some places. check out these renderings for some inspiration. http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showgall&gid=2

still good work ;)

Rei Ayanami
11-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Since im ex-army, a few points on rifle design.

Cheek plate, you need something for the user to rest there head on when using the scope, you dont want to use the rifle as that will be in the wrong place for the scope, uncomfy and dangerous.

Bolt handle shouldnt be angled down, no rifles do it, and it would be hard to use a hadel like that. have it pointing straight out.

The pistol grip is quite far forward, it would be quite a stretch to use something like that, and since most snipers can spend 10+ hrs in position, thats not a good thing at all!

the But is straight, it should be rounded like the shoulder it goes into. that would probably break the shoulder when it fires because of its shape.

you can only have one clip feed per bolt per barrel. so the front one can only be a storage device.

And to the general design of that, eww!

LPlasma
11-04-2003, 10:30 PM
It's a real gun, so hate to break it to you, but all your points are basically invalid.

brandonstuu
11-05-2003, 02:25 AM
Over all i really like, I guess the only new crit i can make is the bare metal texture on the clip. it looks like its galvenized steal, i have never seen a clip made of galvenized steal so it struck me as odd. i think a simpler metal texture would look more proper, if youre going for a well used look the scratches would all be runing from the top to the bottom. but thats not really something i would notice while playing a game.

rightbrainleft
11-05-2003, 03:19 PM
By the way, what's your poly count? Is this for the first person view as well as other views? What is your size limitation on texture maps?

The wireframe looks clean, which is luxurious for a FPS model. Good work so far. I do find it odd that there are two texture maps, but I see how that has allowed you more freedom in the unwrap and painting.

BiTMAP
11-05-2003, 03:20 PM
the bipod isn't casting any shadow on the heat sheild.

LPlasma
11-05-2003, 04:01 PM
The poly count is 2991 tris (non-visible faces will be deleted post-view weapon animation)
The texture maps will be scaled down to 512x512 most likely
This model will be used for the view weapon, a lower detail one will be created for the player weapon model
Thanks for the crits so far

Rei Ayanami
11-05-2003, 05:55 PM
LPlasma It's a real gun, so hate to break it to you, but all your points are basically invalid.

uhh, no their not, well ok, ill complain to the makers of the gun (no its not a gun, its a frikkin rifle! differance!) instead of you. whats the full name?

LPlasma
11-05-2003, 08:20 PM
DSR No. 1
http://www.amp-ts.com/ That should be the manufacturer's site. I don't really have time to double check that though. Also, artistic critiques would be far more useful than obsessive gun nut things. :)

DaKrunch
11-05-2003, 09:15 PM
2 comments but just one is the valid one ;)

1) it's the weapon used in the 1st person view.
You should optimize the use of polys. Some places (almost invisible in the 1st person view) are definitely too detailed, and others, like the scope sight (in first plane), need some more poly.

2) it's the weapon used in the 3rd person view.
The polygon detail is great, but the texture look a bit big for what is needed. I don't know how many different weapon textures will be loaded at the same time but the weap would look practically the same with half the resolution. Of course if the engine programmers told you to use this res, forget my comment.

great rifle

LPlasma
11-06-2003, 05:54 AM
Yeah they will be scaled down later, it's just easier to make them at a resolution that's about double the intended res. Glad you like it. Thanks for the crit.

Zesty
11-10-2003, 08:41 AM
In reis defense, there is a cheak piece on the real gun, but you'd have to debate the DOF that's planned for the project before including it.. sinse people might not even see it.

i'm inclined to agree with the galvanized metal clip thing looking weird.. defenetly do vertical scratches on the clip. hell, my plastic airsoft gun makes scratches like that on the clips, so it can't be to far off..

hmm.. Engine allowing, I'd say, do an alpha texture on the heat cover, so that you can see through to the barrel.. and to justify this detail, you can rememeber that, depending on how the model'll be animated in game, you won't see some of it.. and you can delete the parts you don't see... again, engine allowing, you might use a switch state reloads or something, details change...

Maybe a bullet at the top of the clip? it's not that important, as you only brielfy see the clip in an animation, but if you do see it, something about havin' a bullet waitin' there to get chambered adds to the "realism".

other than those nitpicks, it's a beatiful model, with a texture that'd make a real sniper cry if it were applied to their gun... your wear and tear details are... just.. perfect..

just keep in mind what parts of the gun won't be needed, and compensate my improving everything that will be, and that's my final advise. : )

damn though.. as a bit ofa gun nut m'self.. I can't think for the life of me, what that second clip is for, other than storage...

ps. do a drugunov! your textureing style is --perfect-- for a gun like that, and I'd LOVE to see how you capture it. : )

LPlasma
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the great post. In response to a few things you said:
I actually did already considering doing the alpha channel thing on the heat cover. I will definitely do it if I can. I wanted to do it that way instead of with polys if possible since it would take up a considerable number of polys.

Bullet on top of the clip - I will probably do that when all the ejected shells + such are being created. I would add that in as a submodel that could be toggled on/off via code.

As for a real sniper crying if their gun looked like that, I know. :P The theme for the game is very post-apocalyptic. Glad you like it though.

As for the second clip, it actually is just for storage/convience as far as I know.

As for the dragunov, I might consider it at a later date. Right now I'm still busy creating the core art assets for this project. Right now I'm doing a large chunk of animation work.

Once again, thanks for the post. As always, further crits are appreciated.

LPlasma
11-10-2003, 08:52 AM
BTW here's a quick render of one of the characters with the rifle.
http://www.desertcrisis.com/cd/cdsniper.jpg
(and I know I didn't exactly spend a lot of time assembling the pic or anything, just threw in a few lights on one of the few hundred animation files + rendered it :P )

BiTMAP
11-10-2003, 05:54 PM
its not called a clip, its called a mag ;) Short of magazine, and i'm thinking you mean the 2 mags on the gun? At first i thought it would be a dual ammo feed, but that would need 2 barrels and 2 chambers, however this gun has neither... then i realised there is no ejector port to be seen, so possibly somehow the gun is pushing the caseings into the second mag?

its a bit weird.

LPlasma
11-10-2003, 05:58 PM
It doesn't feed in in any way to my knowledge, as I said I'm pretty sure it's just for storage/convience. Sort of like shotgun shells on the side of shotgun, or two magazines taped together, things like that, but more integrated. And sorry, by clip I meant magazine.

Rei Ayanami
11-10-2003, 06:06 PM
heh LPlasma, sorry about going so OTT on the crits of the gun, im just like that ^_^...

About the cheek plate though, you must remember to inculde it for the external model, but as you said, the FP view may not need it at all.

(here i go again) sniper, with goggles?! doesnt work, its hard using a scope when not prone. but with goggles it aint gona work. 1 eye is fine, but not two... (wow, i need to get out a bit huh?)

LPlasma
11-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Heh, well it's not exactly a realistic setting. The character is going to be in the sandtorn burned shells of cities, not many of the characters have zero eyewear. (In fact right now only one has no eyewear)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.