PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - 2D - Marco Nelor -Goddess of Demon Armor

MarcoNelor
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM
hi guys, happy to compete on the side of CGsociety this year! here is my Dominance war entry..

The goddess of Demon Armor...
She blesses soldiers, be they demon, human, or alien..... as long as they pledge their soul to her in fealty...
centuries ago, she accompanied her worshipers on the battlefield, wading through the fray, no arrow nor magic spell piercing the impregnable fortress that is her demon armor.
This day she has been called forth again to do battle in a new age of supernaturals, to prove her equality amongst the other gods of old.

(click for larger image) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/sketches%20first%20pass.jpg)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/sketches%20first%20pass.jpg

PavelSokov
04-11-2011, 10:25 PM
The problem I am having with a lot of these God names is like this: Are we sure that gods can be a god of an object of some sort?

I understand god of war, emptiness, lust, love, life, death, etc.

But when it comes to gods of venomous fish,dragons, demon armour, and another very specific objects I get confused. For there to be a god of something, this thing has to be a prevalent feature of life. With these kind of titles, I feel as though the essence of the competition isn't being adressed.

Its like if I feel like painting a character with a dinosaur skull for a head, I would just call him God of Dinosaur skulls and get away with it. But in my opinion that doesn't strike at the essence of the goal at hand.
But thats just my opinion, I don't feel strongly about it or anything.

As for the design itself, prototype 3 is really badass, looking forward to seeing more!

MarcoNelor
04-11-2011, 11:28 PM
@pavel :)
Hello sir! you have a very good point indeed! i actually found myself pondering that very idea.
In this world, there are TONS of different gods...just as native Americans prayed to the gods of corn so their crops would flourish, im sure that there is, somewhere out there, a people who pray to the gods to bless their armor before entering a war. Asian warriors even depicted gods in their samurai armors for protection. there are so many gods! All that matters is that somewhere, someone prayed to her, and she appeared :) As for your "god of dinosaur heads"...im sure if done right, with just the right twist, it could be a powerful(and interesting) idea! Remember, everything sounds strange when its written plainly, but in seeing it, it becomes a powerful story to be told!

fleshing out the back view a bit. (yes, i know, another female torso with no armor covering it) but im hoping to make the armor that encases it so huge and dense, that there is simply no way to get to the body. a sort of tension of opposites. like a rose wrapped in barbed wire...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/rear%20copy.jpg

Beneto
04-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Great stuff! I really like that combination of sexy curves contrasting with the pointy, sharper shapes. The double set of arms is a good idea. Especially the fact that a set is feminine and the other is bulky and strong.

All those thumbnails are sweet. Prototype 3 is definitely my favorite. Knowing your rendering skills, I can foresee this as being a totally badass final concept.

Looking forward to see more!

davidramonilustracion
04-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Hello
It's a very interesting concept indeed.
I like your starting.
Bye

yigit
04-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Just as beneto said, i can imagine the awesomeness of the finished piece with your skills.

glupman
04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
we want more!:applause:

MarcoNelor
04-18-2011, 01:34 AM
thanks guys :) unfortunately i was moving kinda slow, i had to complete Castlevania Lord of Shadow! now that ive beaten it i can go full steam ahead to my dominance war pieces!!

Some sketches for a helmet now. i think i like version c the best.
im working really loosely right now which is totally different than what i normally do...but im just trying to keep it light and airy before i attack it. Cheers , all!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/helms.jpg

madbot
04-18-2011, 03:37 AM
Looking great, I like helmet C as well, look forward to seeing how your concept progresses.

MarcoNelor
04-18-2011, 07:18 PM
sup guys. just still truckin along. Thought id spend a lil time fooling with the creature's anatomy before i started laying the armor over the top of it. lots of backstory arose here as i painted, wondering just where this ghastly beast hailed from... how she got to be the way she was, and how she made her ascension into godhood. fun stuff.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/Anatomy%20copy.jpg

PavelSokov
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I may be completely wrong, but this is just my opinion.
I dont like any of the new stuff you went with. The demon arm shape,the completely armorless body, the new face, the claw.

I do like the black skin texture though.

I feel that any of the 3 helmets you posted earlier was really badass, and the original demon arm shape was spot on. But thats just what I think.

MarcoNelor
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
:)

read the description my friend :)

MarcoNelor
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
aaaaand theyre off. time to start rendering, and figuring this thing out, now that i have a good base

file:///C:/Users/mnelor/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/start.jpg

yigit
04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
killer nipples :P

MarcoNelor
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
lol. mmm. thank you?
kinda weird getting off to such a late start. wont let u guys down tho ;)

lepilo
04-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Love the design, the silhouette is pretty strong ! Nice work, can't wait to see it in color!

MarcoNelor
04-19-2011, 07:09 PM
@lepilo thanks man. its tough holding that design in place with the proper gadgets, or lore , or magic to let it read as something that could actually be cool. tough indeed. will require tons of work.

heres where im at so far!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/Anatomy%20copy2.jpg

MarcoNelor
04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
This is the front view of the model sheet by the way, which is why its pretty critical that i must hurry so i can be on to the back view!

KCassidy
04-26-2011, 02:11 AM
This looks amazing! Nice design and I really love your rendering skillz! Helm/collar unit is full of win. Good luck dude I hope you finish!

MarcoNelor
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
edit* i just realized that i prolly work too big, lol. right click and view image to see it larger.

front view is complete, time to flip it and do the side and back. lol. at least i know what she looks like O_O
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3321553/Anatomy2%20copy.jpg

PavelSokov
04-30-2011, 02:23 AM
I am really liking the blackness of your values!

This is going well but I still think the claw is out of context and doesn't seem to add to the design. To me it detracts from it, because it doesn't seem reasonable.

Also I love your giant arm design but I am just a bit afraid that the design of it became way more "robotic" then "demonic. Her helmet is demonic and spot on, but that giant arm and hand makes her look like a god of prosthetics tater then demonic stuff.

I would suggest a more medieval flavor to the giant arms, same as you achieved with the helmet!

beelow
05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I like what I see Marco. Keep up the superb work. The bulky shapes up top really work well with the design. I just love the mixture of bigs to smalls with this design. Waiting to see the rest unfold.

lepilo
05-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Well done! Can't wait to see the final composition.

DreadReaper
05-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Also I love your giant arm design but I am just a bit afraid that the design of it became way more "robotic" then "demonic. Her helmet is demonic and spot on, but that giant arm and hand makes her look like a god of prosthetics tater then demonic stuff.

Agreed, although by contrast I actually like the giant claw. Gives a strong silhouette. The rest of the armor on the body has a definite organic feel to the metal with lots of loops of fluid, non-rigid shapes. The geometric nature of the armor plating on the arm gives a futuristic vibe that isn't present anywhere else. I can understand if you want to keep the segmented armor on the arms but I would try to incorporate more of the flowing lines that you see in the helmet and chest armor.

Great work!

-Dread_Reaper

yigit
05-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I really hope you've finished this but couldn't upload yet.I wouldnt like to see a great concept like this to be left out :(

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2011, 12:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.