PDA

View Full Version : Rigging mechanical pieces

dez24
04-11-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm trying to get this rigging system to work correctly. I've attached a few photos.
The first image is the first condition (open) and the second the (closed) condition.
I'd like for the dynamic joint to be able to move up and down along the path of the arrows and have the middle joint move as it should so that it shown in the closed condition. I'm new to rigging and any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! I've looked online for tutorials but can't seem to find one that describes this. Thanks in advance!
http://i54.tinypic.com/1iok5l.jpghttp://i55.tinypic.com/2089wev.jpg"%20border="0"%20alt="Image%20and%20video%20hosting%20by%20TinyPic

Duncs
04-11-2011, 07:40 PM
A HI IK Solver will do this job for you. Make a 3 bone chain (2 main bones + the nub that gets created when you exit the create bones tool) starting at the top make sure the pivot of each bone aligns with one of the little black hinges in your image.

Apply the HI IK solver and then link your geometry to the appropriate bones. You can then control the system by moving the IK target up and down.

Hope that makes sense - it's really no different to rigging a leg without a foot!

dez24
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the response. I am not familiar with the HI IK solver. I'll have to look into this. I've got a deadline for tomorrow so I'll just have to figure out a work around until I learn this.

Do you know why a key frame on the timeline does not show when a curve is keyed? I have some curves blend shaped with a polygonal surface attached. I would like to copy these curves, surface, and blend shapes with their key frames. How would I go about doing this? Thanks!

Duncs
04-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Sorry, my bad. I assumed you were using Max but, from your last post it sounds like you're in Maya? I think the Maya equivalent of HI IK solver is RP solver but I'm not 100% sure. The theory remains the same though.

As far as your timeline question goes, I'm not too familiar with the Maya workflow, perhaps someone else here will point you in the right direction

Good luck

nuternativ
04-12-2011, 01:43 AM
For the machanical thing using 3 joint with ik should work fine. Draw 3 joint exactly right at the center point of those black cylinder. You can just draw 3 joint anywhere then snap it to vertex later. Then, go to skeleton>orient joint> with orient child joint checked, choose xyz, zyx, yzx...your choice.

Apply the ik, go to skeleton ik tool. In the option box choose RP solver. Select the first joint then shift-select the other end to create ik.

Go to skin>smooth bind. In the option box, choose selected joint. Select one joint, shift select the coresponding mesh and hit apply. Do this for all your mesh. By moving the ik handle up and down, you get the expected result!

You may need to adjust the attribute "pole vector X, Y and Z" on the ik handle which would be the direction for the ik solver to bend.

hope this helps.

dez24
04-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks! I will try that.
nuternativ- Do you know why I wouldn't be able to select key framed curves on the timeline? I'd like to select them but cannot for some reason.

nuternativ
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
To select a key frame on time line?

holding shift + left click...

dez24
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I understand how to select, just didn't realize that those keyed components aren't shown on the timeline as red ticks or lines.

dez24
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
A HI IK Solver will do this job for you. Make a 3 bone chain (2 main bones + the nub that gets created when you exit the create bones tool) starting at the top make sure the pivot of each bone aligns with one of the little black hinges in your image.

Apply the HI IK solver and then link your geometry to the appropriate bones. You can then control the system by moving the IK target up and down.

Hope that makes sense - it's really no different to rigging a leg without a foot!

Hi Duncs + nuternativ- Ive tried creating the joints, applying the IK solver and linking the geometry to the appropriate bones but still can't not get the geometry to move correctly into a closed position. At the end of the animation, the geometry flips directions...which I don't want to happen. I think you can manipulate this in the graph editor, but I can't figure out how to. Any advice ? Thanks so much!

I've attached the file I'm working on.

Boucha
05-03-2011, 02:20 AM
For the machanical thing using 3 joint with ik should work fine. Draw 3 joint exactly right at the center point of those black cylinder. You can just draw 3 joint anywhere then snap it to vertex later. Then, go to skeleton>orient joint> with orient child joint checked, choose xyz, zyx, yzx...your choice.

Apply the ik, go to skeleton ik tool. In the option box choose RP solver. Select the first joint then shift-select the other end to create ik.

Go to skin>smooth bind. In the option box, choose selected joint. Select one joint, shift select the coresponding mesh and hit apply. Do this for all your mesh. By moving the ik handle up and down, you get the expected result!

You may need to adjust the attribute "pole vector X, Y and Z" on the ik handle which would be the direction for the ik solver to bend.

hope this helps.

After you are done with this, may be you can create a dynamic system. Just create a poly object. point constraint the poly to the ik handle. make the poly object a rigid body and you can use the power of dynamic spring constraint to give you a nice dynamics going on. yeah make sure to create a pole vector control also!

giordi
05-03-2011, 01:12 PM
or you can just make 3 bones and instead an fk make the second piece following with a SDK quicker then a ik . also no need of an ik and polevector since the "heel" willl just go streight up and down

nuternativ
05-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Ik will usually flip when the start joint and the end effector get too close.

If you want to get that far for the close position, Mr.Giordi's method should work fine.

With that 3 joints, make a controller at the end joint, set driven key from translate of the control with the rotation of the first and second joint.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2011, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.