PDA

View Full Version : Storyteller's Five

Raido
04-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi, people.
A short animated movie I've made recently. It's my interpretation of 5 characters from different fairy-tales and legends. My point was to stylize every char in a specific way (Frank Miller's Sin City for Red Cap, anime for Cinderella, Kung Fu Panda for Storyteller and etc..), adding a bit of humor and parody to the whole thing =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmWi3S8sQHs

Done with Flash, Maya, Photoshop and AfterEffects. Unfortunately had no time to hire a composer for original track and a professional sound studio to record voices - that's next step.

Hope you enjoy.

Goofy21
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
It had the beginning and nothing more. What happens when u gather them together?
I studied some bit about stories so that will be my point of critique. I won't say to add more(you should) but that would take you much more work.
What you definitely should do is change the dialogue. Put more energy(not the way it is talked but what is talked) The girl may disbelieve something so urging him to explain why(not just by asking like you did, but still thats a way to tell the audience what you want them to know, disbelief is a much powerful tool), make them to quarrel and disagree about something, jokes are never bad(didn't see any opportunity though, +XP was a good one).

I REALLY ENJOYED the animation and the beginning was a pretty good one, you can continue the story.

-this may help you for the next time
You only are presenting to us the characters and that isn't a story, just a beginning, a story is made up of three parts the beginning(what is the story about, the premise , the protagonist and the antagonist), the middle (or known as the confrontation, obstacles must be overcome from your main character to achieve what he desires) and the end(what happens after he achieves or doesn't achieve his desire)

Raido
04-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for crit.
The movie is indeed an introduction of the characters, not an accomplished story at any point. I've also studied some bits about screenplay, scenario and story, so I can only agree about the lack of plot development - simply had no time for that. And - yep - I've also had no appropriate time to create the proper dialogue sequence. The main point was to stylize and animate each part according to specific style, so the interaction between the talking characters was pretty much left behind.
Thanks for the tips

NiklasHolmberg
04-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I really like the Little red riding hood part, the black and white was eye catching.
I was actually a bit disappointed the rest of the animation was in color.
It was some good animating, the storyteller battle went through a few repeats on my computer.

Raido
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks!
Every part was a different style, so I couldn't afford myself to go black-n-white more than once =)

Delucubus
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice job, i can tell you put a lot of work into this. I think it works well as an introduction to the characters.

I'd say the little red-riding hood was actually my least favorite, the shots felt too long, the animation looped too much. The style was cool, but some editing would help out there.

If you're still working on this I would definitely recommend working on the dialogue. If anything I'd say record the dialogue in your native language, really spend some time on the acting, that's probably the weakest part right now. Then do english subtitles, you can get a lot more emotion and believability when speaking in your primary language. Personally that would be more important to me than making it easier for a wider audience.

Raido
04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the crit.
I would do it in my primary language, but the film's been made for the competition judged by english-speaking guys, so that wasn't an option. Anyways - as I've said in the initial post - hiring the service of a studio with professional voice actors is the next step.
Thanks for the notice on Red Cap - indeed, the walking cycle stretches for too long

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.