PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - 2D - freakyfir - God of Blacksmithing

freakyfir
04-09-2011, 06:45 AM
hello guys,

i'm absolutely new to cgsociety and dominance war, but i'm really excited to be here because it all seems so fun. i'm hoping to get some good critique and feedback to help me improve in my design/illustration so feel free to give me your most honest thoughts :)

i'm thinking of doing some sort of partially crippled blacksmith god. maybe he got his leg severed by other gods so he machined one for himself and fought back. the ideas are all pretty rough at the moment, but here are some thumbs. all i know is, this guy is gonna be pretty bulky.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/freakyfir/blacksmith_thumbs.jpg

lepilo
04-09-2011, 06:52 AM
I like the guy at the far upper right side a lot! Good luck

freakyfir
04-09-2011, 06:53 AM
I like the guy at the far upper right side a lot! Good luck

haha thanks! that was my idea of how he looks like if he had to hide among humans on earth. gotta keep a low profile!

ersinerturk
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
That's a pretty cool concept. The one at the top-left corner is the best for me. With some kind of weapon or machine somewhere it would look more mighty. What's his size?

pixel-chick
04-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I'd have to say that the one on the lower left is most interesting to me ;)

PavelSokov
04-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Top left by far, for me!

Just make sure to make those shoulder waves pure badass steel and it will be pretty epic!
As well as giving him a giant hammer!

freakyfir
04-12-2011, 04:19 AM
hey guys, thanks so much for taking a peep at my concept! and for providing useful feedback.

i kinda dig the top left guy as well, except that he pretty much looks like zeus. and a giant hammer is definitely a must!

i've taken some time to develop the idea further. with him being crippled, maybe i'll add other elements of him being tortured by the other gods, possibly with a pair of goggles permanently sewn on to his face or something.

here are some development thumbnails of me finding a form that i'm comfortable with. the keyword for me here is definitely UNDERDOG, haha! and i think i'm definitely going with the largest thumbnail shown here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/freakyfir/dmv_development.jpg

ersineturk raised a very good point regarding size. i better start thinking about that!

davidramonilustracion
04-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Hello
I like your idea of blacksmithing, it's an interesting power for a god.
Keep on.

yigit
04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Nice sketches! I feel like a great cyberpunk piece will come out of this at the end :)

freakyfir
04-16-2011, 05:26 PM
davidramonilustracion : thanks man! yeah i realized every pantheon needs a god of blacksmithing to help them with their weapons.

yigit : i sure hope so, but it seems like it's heading a bit more towards steampunk :\ and i also feel like i lack some of the skills to pull of what i imagine in my head.

anyway, here's the updated linework!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/freakyfir/oliver_LN.jpg

lepilo
04-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice sketches ! Steam punk blacksmith looks interesting, but if he's making weapons for other gods, maybe he would spend more time with his own weapon. I mean if you develop his hammer a bit more it would look cooler :D .

freakyfir
04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Nice sketches ! Steam punk blacksmith looks interesting, but if he's making weapons for other gods, maybe he would spend more time with his own weapon. I mean is if you develop his hammer a bit more it would look cooler :D .

oh man you're so right. haha! that makes a lot of sense. i'll try to jazz up his weapon in the next revision. thanks man!

freakyfir
04-22-2011, 07:23 AM
i took some time to try and paint this guy, as i'm not very proficient in painting. just wanted to see if i could actually execute what i had in mind. it didn't turn out as well as i planned. i'm gonna go back to the linedrawing after this and boost up some details.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/freakyfir/oliver_painted.jpg

PavelSokov
04-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey I'm back again. I actually like your paints!
The bronze is a really strong material for your concept.

There is still a big anatomy problem. On his right arm, why is his nicely looking away to the side and not directly at us. You are seriously mistaken about that arm's anatomy. The bicep would be looking at us and obviously the tricel would he invisible.

Also I mentioned before that the old sketh of him had those cool shoulder waves that I realize now you meant as flowing drapery. However I first read it/imagined it as wavy steel. Like a layered steel situation, just on one shoulder. It's hard to explain.

I actualy stole the idea for my god and implemented it as a test for some new shoulder pads. To see what I mean, you should find that test in my thread somewhere!

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2011, 07:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.