PDA

View Full Version : Custom Palette?

Optigon-cg
10-23-2003, 03:31 AM
Question about PS7

When I paint my game textures I often have to re-use the same color every now and then. I know one way to do this is to use the eyedropper and select the color I want to use. But, when there's 30 or 40 layers with different blending modes, it can be very difficult to select the proper shade of the original color.

I've added color to my swatch but then they eventually get lost in the sea of other swatch color and I can no longer remember what the color I added was for.

Is there a way to create a custom palette where I can name my colors according to their purpose? For example if I had a certain shade of grey I used for vehicle paint I would like to name it "truck_bodycolor".

There's gotta be a way to do this but I've had no luck figuring it out.

Thanks

halo
10-23-2003, 08:20 AM
you can edit and save swatches from your swatch palette, if you want name etc then i think you'll have to make up a ps document and eyedrop from that...

buzzlightyr
10-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Optigon-cg as i am nearing the point of texturing my own character i saw this threed and your idea is also some thing i would like to have...

I went looking in PS7 and found that on the Swatch tab there is a preset manager which will allow you to save out your own swatch palettes...

if you have any problems just pm me

Good Luck Buzz...

evilemil
10-24-2003, 04:17 PM
go to the swtach palette and change the viewing options (triangle in upper right corner)to "small list". you can name all your colours

Optigon-cg
10-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Thank for the suggestions so far.

But, is there a way to quickly get rid of all the default swatch colors withoug having to drag and drop each one to the trash can?

Stroker
10-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Hold alt (or is it ctrl?) to get the scissors. Then click away. When you get down to the last one, save it out as an almost blank set.

Personally, I almost never use swatches. I prefer to use another layer in the PSD itself, or a totally seperate PSD file. See Picking Colours (http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~halmich/tech-slop/pickingcolours/index.shtml) for a handful of the tricks I use.

Optigon-cg
10-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the great tips everyone. I knew I'd find the answers I was looking for here.

Seems like the best way to keep my color set in order would be to create a seperate layer in my document. Hopefully the next version of PS will have a way to create an actual palette that can be docked on the screen.

Stroker
10-25-2003, 12:16 AM
an actual palette that can be docked on the screen
Kind of funny you said that. PS used to have such a mixing palette. It sucked and was mostly useless.

Feel free to put in a feature request to bring it back bigger and better.

buzzlightyr
10-27-2003, 08:29 AM
gald to see everyone got wat they needed :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.