PDA

View Full Version : how: Comparing render time of renders

Eitht
04-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Morning,

i am rendering scenes and trying to optimize them. Wanted compare the time difference taken only to find that MPlay and Render View displays only the time of completion. Thought it was hidden and searched through the menus and preference, didn't see anything. Anyone? ._.

eitht.

AdrianLazar
04-08-2011, 07:20 AM
And on the same topic, I would like to know how can I view render times and render progress under OS X.

Thanks

oktawu
04-08-2011, 07:53 AM
the progress bar is there, but you have to squint a little to see it. it's the small grey
line right above the actual render window, next to the percentage.
for rendertimes, you have to put mantra in a verbose level above 1. (see mantra rendernode,
properties, statistics). you will get the result in user time (u) and system time (s), in the console. usertime means the time it takes for mantra to render it, and system time refers to the time needed by the operating system to launch the render. don't know about osx, but it might be the same as in linux, and so, u might not get the popup console, in which case, either launch houdini from a shell (and all the results will be shown there), or use the -foreground switch when launching.

AdrianLazar
04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Hello mate! Yes it's not the same as in Ubuntu when it just launches the console :(
I open the houdini shell terminal but nothing shows up there...

and yes, I'm using a verbose level above 1

Eitht
04-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Hey oktawu,
stares at MPlay window most of the time, wished they would display it there.
It's good to know where to look and what i am looking at!

eitht.

oktawu
04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
hey bro, i think u misunderstood what i wrote above.
i said, to launch houdini from a shell, and look for the outputs in there. i just tried it on a friends mac, and it's all working, just like expected. and don't try to launch houdini from the regular osx bash terminal. that won't do u any good. you have to first launch the houdini shell, and then in the shell, write "houdini -foreground" and hit enter. and never close that window. u will get all ur outputs in there. i usually presume people know these things, but then it's just a bad habit i've taken after spending half of my life in the nix world.
oh, and by the way, that will be one beer thank you....:)

danBode
04-09-2011, 12:48 AM
You can also see your render time and progress in the Render Scheduler. If you uncheck "Clear Completed Jobs" it will hold a list of which rop you rendered from, how long the render took and other fun facts.

Eitht
04-09-2011, 07:12 AM
You can also see your render time and progress in the Render Scheduler. If you uncheck "Clear Completed Jobs" it will hold a list of which rop you rendered from, how long the render took and other fun facts.

Awesome, one other place to look. :D

eitht.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2011, 07:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.