PDA

View Full Version : History and oil brushes

BigFloppyLlama
10-23-2003, 03:11 AM
Two questions from a complete novice at painter. First, is there a "history" menu like in photoshop? It can undo a few steps, but I have nothing I can choose from like in photoshop. Second, is there a decent oil brush in the program or one I can download? Thanks for any help.

tayete
10-23-2003, 12:17 PM
About the Undo, you can set the number of Undos you wish at your Preferences menu. But there's nothing (AFAIK) like Ps's History (which I hate, by the way).
In the Brushes section of the brushes you may find all the oils you wish (bristle, camel, flat, round, smeary...). That's for v8.

Jinbrown
10-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Tayete,

Sorry to correct you, darlin' but in Painter 8, Oil variants are located in the Oils category.

In Painter 7 and earlier versions, they were in the Brushes category.

BigFloppyLlama,

A "decent oil brush" to one artist may be pure junk to another. It all depends on what you like and how you work. You may find that creating your own custom brush variants works best for you. Until you know what Painter has to offer, by your own testing, it's pretty much a waste of time to simply ask for something as broad as a "decent oil brush".

Best way to find out which brush variants do, what you want, is to open a big white Canvas and begin testing, from the top brush category all the way down the list to the bottom category, testing each variant in each category.

Work on several blank Canvases and save your files in a numbered series.

Save your files in a special folder so you'll always be able to refer to them later.

Make notes when you find something you like and key your notes to the file names.

It'll be time well spent and then you can move on to more "sophisticated" problems and questions, knowing better what to ask.

tayete
10-24-2003, 10:42 AM
What would we do if Jin wasn't around to correct us? No doubt she is and always be the person who best knows Painter and how to extract every single bit of productivity from it! ;)
Thanks for the correction Jinny!

Jinbrown
10-25-2003, 02:37 PM
tayete,

Thanks, but I don't know everything there is to know about Painter, even after all these years.

As you know by now, it's a bottomless well of things to discover and learn.

We need each other to cover as much as possible and still keep learning more all the time.

By the way, there may be some "oils" brushes in the Acrylics category too.

We should always remember that no matter what the brush category names and brush variant names might be, the brush variants can be used in more than one way.

For instance, a lot of people use Airbrush variants and Pastels to create watercolor paintings, believe it or not!

What matters is how the painting looks, not what the brush variant names were that were used to create it.

;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.