PDA

View Full Version : Howler teaser video

doghat
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
This is a short video showing some of the updated filters in Dogwaffle Howler.

http://www.squirreldome.com/temp/HowlerPreview.avi

doghat
04-07-2011, 04:50 PM
We've got another video here showing a realtime lighting tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgWf3pznCTY

Hoja
04-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi Doghat,
the showcased functionalities are cool, even impressive!
After I read your initial announcement however your work on the GUI shouldn't stop here though. I hoped that the time of Software-Controls with 3D-Style/heavy Shadows and bulgy Gradients had finally also ended in Dogwaffle... Stuff like "physical knobs" and swatches which seem to sit in deep cavities really are an artifact from a time when one was still amazed what "cool" depth illusions one could create with some simple tricks. Today they only cause Eye-Cancer :)

doghat
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
We've done away with the bevel in favor of a single color border. We have a chromish gradient. That's the going style in Windows. We did some experimenting with flat looks. http://www.squirreldome.com/temp/possiblelook.jpg

Hoja
04-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Doghat,
I felt a bit sorry after posting this but on could at least call it "unfiltered Feedback".
What I see in your screenshot are only small steps in the direction I'd call somehow contemporary GUI-Design. What I'm talking about is not some kind of GUI-Fashion which come and go, but visual Simplification and De-Cluttering.
There's still lots of waste of space going on, with super-broad Panel-Borders (Tools-Floater), broad Vertical Deviders, broad Horizontal Deviders.
And there's a still a tremendously "loud" amount of different colours (some OS-native, some adapted to Os native(horizontal Top-Bar), many colours of your own, sharp edges, round edges, gradients, no gradients, Win 7 elements (Main Menu) and Win98 (Scrollbar on Colourswatch). A complete mess, really. One should better start from Scratch.
Maybe looking for some gifted Skinner at Deviantart or so made sense? And also a change to a GUI-Framework which generally looks more integrated and less like a wall composed of vividly coloured recycled bricks with mortar inbetween? Sorry if I again used drastic words.
Be assured that only happened to get my points across!

doghat
04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
You'll find a couple different camps on this one. Some want a dark gray background plus nothing, and some like the frills. To me, the gradients and things are more than just decoration. They help set the controls apart from their background, and there's just something about a single, plain homogenous color that just drives me nuts. Your eyes have nothing to focus on, for one. In nature, at least you'd see some subtleties in lighting. I think the more professional (and expensive" apps tend toward that kind of interface. We've always straddled the line between pro and hobbiest.
As for our color scheme, we're still working on that, though it will likely stay in the duckegg blue area for this release. We're still a little in between right now I think, with some of our last versions purple. I spent a solid month just moving buttons around, but there's still a little time to work out things here and there.

handlebar
04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Hobbiests have taste as well.
The problem with many gifted programmers is that they often fail to see the importance of good design, or grasp the concept at all, blinded to it in a way.
You can have a good interface design, that is functional, user friendly, but without being brash.
I really agree that you should get some advice from a good skinner, interface designer.

doghat
04-09-2011, 08:39 PM
And many loose sight of the fact that somebody has to write all that code behind it.

handlebar
04-10-2011, 09:40 AM
And many loose sight of the fact that somebody has to write all that code behind it.

Quite the opposite, i'm not out to bash your efforts, i want your project to be a success, being one of your potential customers.
Your thinking on interface design just seems a little strange to me, it's the front end of your code, what we consumers see and interact with, and should never be about your own personal taste but based on solid research.
Sorry if i offended in any way it wasn't my intention.

Hoja
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I also just wanted to help. While there's certainly different tastes and work-preferences there's aspects in your GUI which are simply badly made in a craftsmanly sense.

It wouldn't matter so much when you were authoring a Tax-Software or such - but these - I would call them mistakes - appear especially odd in a Software which wants to appeal to people with a genuine interest in Graphics. Please also note that Windows 7 is pretty much cleared from strong Gradients and emphasized 3D-Elements. The least one could say it that the Program looks somewhat alien on a contemporary System.

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.