PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Unreal Engine 3 Features Trailer

LW3D
04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
file:///C:/Users/DH1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngSee the latest UE3 has to offer, from high-end DirectX 11 features to handy mobile game development tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGYtdDI6eE

mister3d
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
It was running on 4 gtx 580. Still, incredible quality, which I would like to test for animation and renders.

mustique
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Die offline rendering die!! :D

Nice demo. (next year it will probably run on 1 single highend GPU) Except the "realistic foliage" part, which doesn't look realistic at all. I hope Crytek will adopt a similar licence policy with its cryengine. Cause otherwise the future belongs to the Unreal Engine no matter how superior others are...

mister3d
04-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Nice demo. (next year it will probably run on 1 single highend GPU) Except the "realistic foliage" part, which doesn't look realistic at all. I hope Crytek will adopt a similar licence policy with its cryengine. Cause otherwise the future belongs to the Unreal Engine no matter how superior others are...

It still doesn't have GI, but Frostbite 2 has.

fablefox
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Interesting, for the 'die' part, because Studio GPU blog last updated on May 13, 2010.

http://www.studiogpu.com/blog

Personally I can't wait for Cryengine : Sandbox for Cinema though.

RoyalT
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh.... I believe in the "Frostbite" Engine. Battlefield 3 looks amazing.

Regards,
Terje

Venkman
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM

I would love to use these game engines as my only rendering engine. This is perfect for doing the things I do on my free time.

richcz3
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
OK Mark Rein - what market(s) is EPIC targeting?

ambient-whisper
04-08-2011, 09:52 AM
thats great but while it has GI, the tools arent available to you, so its useless. unless frostbite is given away like UDK, or sandbox will be, then its useless for us. Plus, it might not have realtime GI, but lightmass is a GI solution. it isnt a realtime GI solution, but it does a beautiful job in lighting non the less. I know that this was run off of 3 580 cards in SLI as well, but then again, it also didnt require a render farm that costs 20-50k.

I am excited for sure.

spurcell
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
thats great but while it has GI, the tools arent available to you, so its useless. unless frostbite is given away like UDK, or sandbox will be, then its useless for us. Plus, it might not have realtime GI, but lightmass is a GI solution. it isnt a realtime GI solution, but it does a beautiful job in lighting non the less. I know that this was run off of 3 580 cards in SLI as well, but then again, it also didnt require a render farm that costs 20-50k.

I am excited for sure.

I was literally just about to post the exact same thing. All fine and dandy to crow about an engines features compared to anothers, but when that comparison is between one engine, you'll likely never be able to use, and one you can, its not an apples to apples comparison. And this thread is about features in an engine, you get to use. And UDK absolutely has GI. There's even a setting to determine number of bounces. I dont totally agree with you ambient that UDK has beautiful GI though. It looks okay as long as your surfaces have alot of texture. I find it hard to get good quality shading on texture-less diffuse surfaces.

BColbourn
04-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that DICE was planning on making an editor available, but just not at launch

hanskloss
04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Amazing job from Epic once again. One thing that I absolutely hate is motion blur, in FPS especially. The speed of the game is fast enough. Personally adding motion blur actually degrades the visuals. I think Epic has a phenomenal job not only on the engine but on the entire development kit. From my short experience no other tool is as complete as the UDK.

SheepFactory
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
file:///C:/Users/DH1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngSee the latest UE3 has to offer, from high-end DirectX 11 features to handy mobile game development tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGYtdDI6eE

Dude did you really just try to IMG link a screenshot on your HDD? *facepalm

--

I cant wait to delve into UDK this weekend. Seems like it is pretty nice.

hanskloss
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Dude did you really just try to IMG link a screenshot on your HDD? *facepalm
hahahaha...lol:) thnx for making me laugh out loud :)

ambient-whisper
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I cant wait to delve into UDK this weekend. Seems like it is pretty nice.

What I really like about UDK is the wealth of knowledge that supports this engine. I don't think there is any other engine that has this much support. Unity3d might be a second. With support of 3dbuzz, and other game artists/programmers, getting into UDK is much simpler than any of the other engines I find.

hanskloss
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
If you never used UDK before it can be a bit overwhelming at first because of the sheer number of features. After a while though it becomes really intuitive. I like it for how fantastically all of the tools are laid out and how well the UI plays in the entire process especially level design and FX.

SheepFactory
04-08-2011, 07:39 PM
How does lighting work in UDK? Is it interactive realtime or do I need to place the lights and then compile the lighting every time I want to move a light and see changes?

mustique
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
last time I checked you've had to recalculate the lighting solution whenever you were adding a light/were changing a light attribute. But it's not a time consuming calculation. :lightbulb

hanskloss
04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
You get a visual feedback of what the light will look like in the level more or less. You have to do a level compile in order to get the full effect though. The compilation time is naturally dependent on the complexity of the level just like a real render.

XeroWolf
04-09-2011, 01:52 AM

Wow my fanboy detector just went off. :rolleyes:
Believe it or not the engine which boasts the best graphics isn't always the best engine for the job. All the top game engines excel in one area or another some in more areas that others but in the end it all comes done to which engine has the tools to best suit your needs and wallet too. :)

hanskloss
04-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Believe it or not the engine which boasts the be best graphics isn't aways the best engine for the job. All the top game engines excel in one area or another some in more areas that others but in the end it all comes done to which engine has the tools to best suit your needs and wallet too. :)

Spell checker says hello :)

XeroWolf
04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I speel bettre now. ok

mustique
04-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Believe it or not the engine which boasts the best graphics isn't always the best engine for the job. All the top game engines excel in one area or another some in more areas that others but in the end it all comes done to which engine has the tools to best suit your needs and wallet too. :)

Very true. :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2011, 09:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.