PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Popnet variable from a copy SOP

rafaelfs
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Hi there,

I've mapped a ramp value of the life of particles and created a variable named "shape" inside the popnet to drive a blendshape node in the SOP context. When I try to access the value of shape for stamping from the copy SOP it gets messy though. It either gives me the red hatch or it seems to work but ultimately doesn't. I can see in the detail view that the variable "shape" is working as expected though.

How can I access a variable in such case?

Thanks a lot

Rafael

cdeorsay
04-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Chances are you just don't have a local variable for your attribute "shape".

You can see what local variables are mapped by middle mouse clicking and down at the bottom there might be something that says "shape -> SHAPE" if this isn't there just put down an attribute create node. Name the attribute "shape" (the same as the attribute in your popnet) and type "SHAPE" in the local variable box. Then uncheck the "write values" box down at the bottom. now you should be able to access your attribute with "$SHAPE" in the copy node.

you can also probably access this with the point function if you want to skip the extra node.

rafaelfs
04-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi

I tried that too and no success... What finally worked was using the point() command to read the local variable from the pop network...

Thanks for trying anyway! :)

http://renderfarm.com.br/cgsociety/shape_attribute.png

rjw
04-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah the Blendshapes SOP is one of the few SOPs that doesn't work with local variables. Using the point() expression to get the stamping to work to drive the blend weight is the way forward, exactly as you have done it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2011, 09:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.