PDA

View Full Version : Coffee maker

duga8
04-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Dear friend
First of all I'd like to congratulate u all for the site's makeover. Good job!
I've been away for quite some time, and now I my free time to ask u all about my progress. Here's a pic done with Rhino, and I'd like to have some opinions. Have I missed any compoment? I'll be very thankful..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/workin_3d/5593531351

StSabath
04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
what exactly are you striving for? a coffeemachine?
what is it going to be used for,(ie games,mobile games,3d still)
and second what kind of critique are you asking for,modeling,lighting,basic techniques used?
please explain yourself..

duga8
04-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Good points! First of all, I made all kinds of modeling, and the coffee maker is a 3d still.
I was asking and I still am looking for modeling crits.
Tnx for kind reply..
Here's another work of mine
http://www.flickr.com/photos/workin_3d/5604045657/in/photostream

StSabath
04-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Allright,here we go......

First of all,i just have to say,your models could improve so much!
Having a browse at your flickr page,i cant help thinking that all of the models are either out of proportions,or need lots of work.
Heres how you can improve m8:
-First of all,if you want to model a real world object,Use reference!
Sit down and search for references of the object for about an hour or so,this assures the right base for proprtions ,scale and shape.
-Second try working on a object like the coffemachine for about 1 or 2 weeks,defining the rough shape,then lateron refining the shapes into details.
-Dont touch the texturing before you have reached the final detailed result of the model of choice.
-UV Map your models!,all your model's textures seem to be slapped on with no uv maps applied..
-Post the WIP renders in this thread as you go,se we can give crits along the way,to push you in the right direction.

I would suggest,to start over on the coffeemachine for starters,take your time to find references,and model part by part.

Cheers

mlager8
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I have to ask why are you modeling in rhino? I know rhino is quite capable but the two things you posted look like work for polygons.
Anyway I agree with what duga is saying. You need reference before you start modeling anything, you proportions are clearly way off. post WIP and wireframes, you dont need to texture or render anything until your model is complete. Your coffee machine is missing alot of modeling fundamentals. For instance:

Edges should be beveled because nothing in the real world has absolutely perfect sharp edges, there is always some width and roundness.

Your walls need thickness, a single plane makes the model appear as if its made out of paper.

Your shapes are not closed. (where the two body sections meet the center ring the shapes are open and you can see into the center of the model.)

duga8
04-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Tnx for kind reply. I've never used UV and reading u'r posts it seems important.
I must say I used reference for the coffee maker, but by using UV it might improve.

StSabath
04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Do you mind posting up that reference image for us to see ?
That way we can see what you are working with

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.