PDA

View Full Version : Enable mip_fgshooter?

ColinKennedy
04-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Hello! Quick question about the mip_fgshooter. I have Maya 2010 x64 and have mip production shaders enabled. Just today though, I stumbled upon a forum talking about a mip shader, mip_fgshooter. I had my shaders enabled but I was surprised that I had never heard of it. In fact, I can't create one at all. As far as its functionality is concerned however, I've been excited to incorporate this shader into my workflow.

A quick note on what I "think" mip_fgshooter does in a practical sense:
If I'm reading this correctly, it's a camera lens shader that reduces final gather's ability to flicker with moving camera motion with fixed FG maps (and possibly character as well? I didn't see anything about the scene moving but I assume that that may be fine with render passes).

So the question remains: how does one activate the mip_fgshooter? I've seen people talking about it but there are no tutorials that I can find. So that makes me think it's only for Maya 2011 at the moment. Can you get this node for Maya 2010 and if so, how? Thank you for your replies in advance.

Goksimaster
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Just scroll down on the page before and the answer will appear :)

ColinKennedy
04-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey Goksimaster! Admittedly the post of your script is exactly the reason why I know of mip_fgshooter. I couldn't find any info on your forum on how to enable this node (please corret me if I'm wrong) so I just ran the script and hoped it'd work. Unfortunately, I received this error:

// Error: No object matches name: unknown1.mode //

The reason is because, when the script runs this line:
string $fgShooter = `createNode mip_fgshooter`;

Maya doesn't recognize the node and instead returns an unknown node. Hence unknown1. The .mode comes from attributes of the fgshooter. I know what fgshooter is and how it's used but I can't figure out how to enable it. Could someone walk me through it?

kiryha
04-07-2011, 01:28 PM
You should enable production shaders (http://www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=511):)

ColinKennedy
04-07-2011, 02:48 PM
That's the thing Kiryha, I enabled my mip shaders over 3 months ago and have been thoroughly enjoying them so far xD. That's why I'm confused about mip_fgshooter. Even with the shaders enabled, Maya does not recognize the node. I'll reiterate, I'm using Maya 2010 - mentioned in case it's only for 2011 and up.

I'll restart my customclass MEL again but I doubt it will do much.......

ColinKennedy
04-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I've done some extra research and even the online Maya 2011 documentation came up with nothing for searches related to mip_fgshooter. It's also not mentioned in my mentalrayCustomNodeClass.mel.

If enabling my shaders is really all that I need to do to get reveal this node, could someone that uses mip_fgshooter please donate their customnodeclass so that I can see what the code looks like?

achoury
04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I've done some extra research and even the online Maya 2011 documentation came up with nothing for searches related to mip_fgshooter. It's also not mentioned in my mentalrayCustomNodeClass.mel.

If enabling my shaders is really all that I need to do to get reveal this node, could someone that uses mip_fgshooter please donate their customnodeclass so that I can see what the code looks like?
Hi
look here for mip_fgshooter (http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/2012/ENU/mental%20ray%203.9%20Help/)
hope this help
/Rachid

ColinKennedy
04-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Oh, so based off the documentation that you sent me, it seems that it's Maya 2012? If it were for earlier versions, I still wouldn't know how to enable the node for use in my Maya 2010. I'm bad with scripting (learning but struggles) so please bear with me.

achoury
04-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Oh, so based off the documentation that you sent me, it seems that it's Maya 2012? If it were for earlier versions, I still wouldn't know how to enable the node for use in my Maya 2010. I'm bad with scripting (learning but struggles) so please bear with me.

if you have Maya2011 you can enable it by enabling production shaders via the script editor
optionVar -intValue “MIP_SHD_EXPOSE” 1;
then just type the command:
createNode mip_fgshooter
regards
/Rachid

Goksimaster
04-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't have production shaders enabled (they are hidden in the UI) but I can create them with mel "createNode mip_fgshooter;". I use maya 2011 64. I guess mip_fgshooter is not included in maya 2010. You can check this by going in mentalrayCostumeNodeClass.mel and check if
mip_fgshooter is there. This is the complete list for 2011.

"mip_rayswitch"
"mip_rayswitch_advanced"
"mip_rayswitch_stage"
"mip_rayswitch_environment"
"mip_card_opacity"
"mip_fgshooter"
"mip_motionblur"
"mip_matteshadow"
"mip_cameramap"
"mip_mirrorball"
"mip_grayball"
"mip_gamma_gain"
"mip_render_subset"
"mip_matteshadow_mtl"
"mip_motion_vector"
"mip_binaryproxy"

ColinKennedy
04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah I did that last night and found nothing, that's why I was asking if others could post their MRcustomclass scripts. Out of that list that you sent me Goksimaster, and I'm using my rote memory on this because I've mostly memorized my shaders, I believe the differences are that I don't have fgshooter, rayswitch stage and my 2010 may not include rayswitch_environment.

Hope that helps to anyone who was thinking of using fgshooter below Maya 2011 - You can't! And thank you everyone for your replies ^_^.

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.