PDA

View Full Version : What is Trendwhore Art

dfusion
10-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Ok, time for the newbie question..

The hybrid 2D/3D art that is in Metalheart is that considered Trendwhore? Without really knowing what is but seeing/hearing the name Trendwhore, it seems the name was given to this style of art after it became really popular and tons of people were jumping on the bandwagon trying to create their own work of this style but in a quick and sloppy fashion? I get the impression so many people were putting togeher photoshop pics with lines and filters that it degraded the artform to the point where it's called Trendwhore? This is my guess but could someone elaborate?

Where are things today? Is there a "scene" for this style? I really enjoy this style of art but I do not think of it in such a limited way. I like to combine the best of 2D + 3D to make nice art. I look for elements from all over and extend my resources to everything around me. But I feel isolated when I read people constantly saying it's simple lines and filters done in 10 minutes.

If anyone can put some reality to this myth (for me anyway) I'd like to know. Even if it bursts my bubble. :D

-d

Kotayus
10-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Trendwhore art is a hybird fusion of 2d/3d abstract art (generally)

Other features of such are: lines, arrows, small text, crystal effects, exploding polygons etc...

The word "Trendwhore" is just a buzz term for people that generaly copy work to get recognised.

A great Abstract "Trendwhore" site is Depthcore (http://www.depthcore.com)

Though these guys are an art group, some really great imaginitive pieces come from them.

IN ADDITION: I would like to say that the guys from DC even though stick to this type of style, i really think they are on the forefront for the style, thier artists always produce amazing work.

dfusion
10-22-2003, 11:51 PM
ok that was the style of art i was referring to. i know there is a more formal name for it, long before Trendwhore was given to it, which that name drives me insane anyway!

thanks!

-d

Kotayus
10-23-2003, 12:02 AM
yeah, its just abstract 3d, then usually dropped into photoshop for dodging, masking and adding other various post effects.

I have always enjoyed it, but like you stated in the grunge thread...the internet has a way of making certain styles so desired it loses its flare...and thats where this style is...im sure it will always be pretty constant though...seeing as how a lot of 3ders (that i know anyways) start in a similar fashion.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.