PDA

View Full Version : Displacement bug - please help!

DimitriZaitsev
04-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Hey there everyone!

I hope this is the right thread to post this issue, please move if not...

It occurs whenever I have an object which has a part of it occupied by a material where SUB-polygon dispalcement is enabled in the material options.

Anyway, I better just show it first:

http://dimitri-zaitsev.de/environment_channel_render_1.jpg

.. this "mega-pixelation" aka "sqare stuff" or whatever you call it happens to the whole part of the object not occupied by a displacement-enabled material. At first i thought its a problem in the environment channel, but as I found out, it does not even matter if the non-displacement part of the object even HAS a material applied to it.

Here is a clean new sphere in a clean new document, no bad geometry, no nothing:
http://dimitri-zaitsev.de/dispalcement_stuff_2.jpg

That spiked part has a displacement-enabled material. The rest of the sphere has nothign and looks perfectly round when redenred if I disable displacement.

I have spent the whole day trying to figure out whats wrong, and I could spend half an hour describing which options that i tried do not fix anything.

I would however greatly appreciate if someone could tell me what DOES fix it <3

Thanks in advance,
Dimitri

lllab
04-05-2011, 07:27 AM
best call direct germany maxon support as you are in germany, they might be able to help you or see if this is really a bug o wrong setup.

cheers
Stefan

DimitriZaitsev
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
well, its not a "bug" in that sense indeed - as i found out after several more hours, it has to do with the phong tag being disabled when a displacement-enabled material is on the same object, and also even foudn a few people reporting the same issue with the phong..

still, i have no idea how to fix it : /

the thread should go to "modeling" thou i guess, since it seems to be unrelated to rendering

Simon Wicker
04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
you need to activate round geometry in the sub polygon displacement settings.

cheers, simon w.

DimitriZaitsev
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
thank u so much!

I seriously dont know what in the name flying snail I was doing.. I believe to have tested it with this setting, but might be my brain playing bad tricks on me or something.

anyway, you have put me out of now-2-days misery looking for this solution, it works now :)

<3

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.