PDA

View Full Version : "Oops" Work in Progress

LadyMedusa
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I am determined not to abandon this project.
Just to be clear. I am not going for realism, and some of the proportions are exaggerated purpose. I still want it to look right though. I would really appreciate any critiques you guys can come with.
Is there too much empty space above his head?
I'm going to redo the ear. I notice now how wrong it looks :p
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/vrd/oops-wip1.jpg
The story of this piece is about a Giant that wants to be good. He managed to step on a human by accident and is shocked about this. It was originally intended for Gnomon workshops monthly challenge for March, 2009. Subject being "Oops!"

sampad01
04-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Nice concept. Is this finished work or will there be more updates?

LadyMedusa
04-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks. There will be more updates :)

LadyMedusa
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
A little update
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/vrd/oops-wip2.jpg
I hate to say it, but I am starting to lose interest in this project. I'm hoping I'll get more motivated eventually.

Critiques are still very much appreciated.

Talaria
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I like the character. I think he looks really cute, and I love his face.
The only...critique, I have is that if you don't say that he had actually stepped on someone I wouldn't really have known. I thought maybe it was someone waving at him.
I like that you're rendering the wrinkled pants around his butt, hehe it's very funny.
hm If you'e losing interest, maybe trying a different composition would help?

RicoD
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Personally I'd move the hand of the crushed fellow more to the right. Having it come from the exact bottom right corner creates a visual tangent and feels awkward.

Since we're looking from the perspective of the trampled being, the lines of the giant need to distort more for a bit more dynamic look. Right now it has this big distance, way zoomed in telelens look, which makes it flat. Looking up to tall, cylinder shaped buildings would help with this. Curving the belt is the first thing that comes to mind. Some aerial perspective would help too. An easy way to quickly add some would be to cut out the shape of the giant and throw on some gradients at 10% opacity overall or so, in the colour of the sky from 100% to 0% opacity in slighty differing angles (so not all straight down). This will help convey the massiveness of the gentle, yet clumsy giant. ;) I'm guessing the Mickey Mouse 3-finger hand look is deliberate?

LadyMedusa
04-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Thank you so much guys!
I'll try out some other compositions :)

Those hints sounds like good ideas indeed for giving the illusin of perspective!
The 4-finger thing was something that was on the original sketch (from 09), so I wanted to try it out before adding another one.. still not quite sure what to do to be honest ^^

LadyMedusa
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Little update.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/vrd/oops-wip3.jpg
Did a flip just to see it with new eyes. I'm planning to show a foot digging in the ground instead of a hand reaching out... I did so many sketches of the hand but they all looked wrong.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.