PDA

View Full Version : The "godlike" issue

Zykras
04-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Well I think this deserves an own thread because it's a very common issue in this contest and I would love to hear your thoughts.
I also think this thread could help many people who don't know what to do if it comes to a "godlike" appereance. So we can gather our ideas here.
I hope it's okay.

So my thoughts:
I actually have no idea ... do we really have to add cool and crazy stuff to make our gods godlike? Or is it actually okay to have a "simple" character on the outside with a hint to his godlike abilitys?
Well I have to admit: I love big/cool/epic stuff and a strong pose/perspective but I guess you could also show a very subtle pose, for example an arrogant pose to make a character more powerful. Maybe it's even better? Real gods don't have to show off, they know what they could do ^^
I have some other ideas in mind but I actually would love to hear your thoughts and ideas and gather some answers to this question: What makes our characters godlike? Is it cliché to add "epic" stuff or necessary?

AlucardAssassin
04-04-2011, 01:46 AM
I think it really depends. If your god is the god of, say, peace, or humility, or something, you should really not need any 'epic' stuff (discounting the sweet god of peace on this forum, different kind of peace though). If your god is the god of war, hate, death, or something it would take some serious chops to pull of that kind of character without the addition of cliched godly atributes. That's just my opinion though.

PavelSokov
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Well looking at previous DW winners, I don't think simplicity wins.

Goon
04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Not sure why you're asking this. You don't need permission to do whatever you want. If what you want is to win, then make something that appeals to the voting base, which is largely composed of 15-25 year old males with sensibilities influenced more by Spawn and Power Rangers than Degas or O'Keefe. If its a male character, give him lots of muscles and make him a better badass than all of the other badasses. If its a female, show some cleavage and make her a sexier badass than all the other badasses. Basically, be highly skilled and mildly original in your presentation of some truly unoriginal subject matter. Throw in some explanation as to why your god is different from a hero with magic and you're golden.

Or you could actually create a god character which has less to do with raw 90000% power and epicness and more to do with control, creation and decisions, sacrifice and vengeance, weaving the tapestry of fate, etc.

TheGrak
04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
If what you want is to win, then make something that appeals to the voting base, which is largely composed of 15-25 year old males with sensibilities influenced more by Spawn and Power Rangers than Degas or O'Keefe.

I lol'd. I think DW5 is being judged by a panel, no?

KCassidy
05-04-2011, 01:50 AM
If its a male character, give him lots of muscles and make him a better badass than all of the other badasses. If its a female, show some cleavage and make her a sexier badass than all the other badasses. Basically, be highly skilled and mildly original in your presentation of some truly unoriginal subject matter.

I lol'd too! So true and funny!

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2011, 01:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.