PDA

View Full Version : Why is the HI Solver causing my bones to Shift? HELP!

Verinince
04-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Hello, I just mirrored my leg bones to the right side, and set the "X" axis in the negatives to get a perfect mirror and align to the right. Everything was going great until I applied my "HI Solver" to my right ankle bone. Apon doing so, my ankle's position in the "Y" changed from a perfect 0.004 to a 0.005, meaning I lost my perfect alignment, and I no longer have a perfect mirror. Why is this happening and how do I fix this? I really need this setup so I don't get any shifting, thank you.

Verinince
04-04-2011, 06:11 AM
So, does anyone know? I could really use help on this, I can't progress my rig without getting this fixed.

scrimski
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Hello, I just mirrored my leg bones to the right sideDo not mirror bones. Ever. Or scle bones. Use the Bone tools for tasks like that.

Verinince
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Do not mirror bones. Ever. Or scle bones. Use the Bone tools for tasks like that.

There is an option to mirror in the bone tools, and I used it. Anyways, what can I do to fix my HI solver problem, thanks for your help.

scrimski
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
There is an option to mirror in the bone tools, and I used it. Anyways, what can I do to fix my HI solver problem, thanks for your help.
Then I have no idea(mirrorng w/ bone tools is the proper way to go btw).

labbejason
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
He obviously knows to mirror from bones tools :)

This happens to me all the time too. You would notice tiny offsets no matter how careful you are. I just opened Max and it offsets even on the most simple example after IK is applied. It's a very small offset though and it's never caused any problems for me when using tools that are dependent on a symmetrical rig (tools like mirroring skin weights by bones).

As far as I know there's no way to fix it. The solvers themselves have the right positions/values so you can't try to fix the offsets by nudging them around. You can either live with it or make your own custom solver.. which someone has already done! : http://joleanes.com/scripts_plugins/IKFKSolver.php

Unlike Max's IK solver, his didn't offset the bones when I tried his out right now. I've never used it in production so I have no idea of any hidden evil bugs that might come with it. If you use it I would definitely do some digging around beforehand for any problems that may burn you later. Personally, I don't think you'll run into any problems if you stick with Max's IK solver.

scrimski
04-05-2011, 08:18 PM
He obviously knows to mirror from bones tools
http://forums.cgsociety.org/image.php?u=207552&dateline=1299511147

Not so obvious btw, I've seen lots of people just using the mirror tool(including me a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away)and run into problems with bones start changing their size when animating

:arteest:

Verinince
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
He obviously knows to mirror from bones tools :)

This happens to me all the time too. You would notice tiny offsets no matter how careful you are. I just opened Max and it offsets even on the most simple example after IK is applied. It's a very small offset though and it's never caused any problems for me when using tools that are dependent on a symmetrical rig (tools like mirroring skin weights by bones).

As far as I know there's no way to fix it. The solvers themselves have the right positions/values so you can't try to fix the offsets by nudging them around. You can either live with it or make your own custom solver.. which someone has already done! : http://joleanes.com/scripts_plugins/IKFKSolver.php

Unlike Max's IK solver, his didn't offset the bones when I tried his out right now. I've never used it in production so I have no idea of any hidden evil bugs that might come with it. If you use it I would definitely do some digging around beforehand for any problems that may burn you later. Personally, I don't think you'll run into any problems if you stick with Max's IK solver.

Alright, thank you for this.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.