PDA

View Full Version : So, who's going to SIGGRAPH 2011? :)

MBH
04-03-2011, 10:03 AM
I am, because I happen to be in town around that time, and because I've got a paper to present :) It's about a post-production technique for HDR footage, so looking forward to it.

See you there?
Matthias

paulgendek
04-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Would you recommend this event (and its cost) to a hobbyist beginner?

MBH
04-18-2011, 09:07 PM
I've been to SIGGRAPH twice since it is part of my job as an academic researcher. I also need the pretty darn expensive full conference pass to access the papers program, but luckily I haven't had to pay for it so far. This also means that I usually don't get to see too much of the remaining stuff which constitutes the bulk of the conference. Not sure what to recommend to a CG hobbyist but there are definitely a lot of fascinating things going on. If you live nearby, then yeah, I would recommend you should at least get a day pass to check it out. If not, a week pass and hotel costs will add up quickly so you may want to think twice. On the plus side, maybe you'd get to meet the famous Vancouver bed bugs that caused a 2.5-million city to run out of hotel rooms during the 2010 Olympics ;-)

Cheers,
Matthias

jonathanvair
04-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I was there for 2009-10 and I can't recommend it enough. The networking and portfolio reviews were worth the price of admission alone, but this is coming from a student ACM member that had to pay only $360 for the conference costs.

I've decided IlluXcon is a more money-conscientious decision for the future, but SIGGRAPH is an absolute BLAST.

SheepFactory
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I am definitely going this year considering its down the street from where I live :D

PaulHellard
05-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I'll be there!

leif3d
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll also be there!
First time long time?

malducin
05-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I am definitely going this year considering its down the street from where I live :D

So now we know where the CGTalk party is going to be ;-).

I'll be attending pending the visa.

jmo9375
05-19-2011, 06:21 AM
I got accepted as a student volunteer so I'll be going. I'm looking forward to doing some networking and sight seeing.

Elendorial
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I've been also accepted as a student volunteer. However I'm considering it since the cost of the trip is high( I'm from Greece). Do you think it's worth it? I mean, despite the fact that you'll meet new people, do volunteers enjoy any benefits? Is there anyone from here who has been a volunteer before?

Thanks

jmo9375
05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I've been also accepted as a student volunteer. However I'm considering it since the cost of the trip is high( I'm from Greece). Do you think it's worth it? I mean, despite the fact that you'll meet new people, do volunteers enjoy any benefits? Is there anyone from here who has been a volunteer before?

Thanks

Although this is my first time, I know a couple of people from my school who have been student volunteers and they have assured me that it was a valuable experience. Part of the benefits include unlimited access to the conference which would otherwise be a very expensive ticket, as well as special student volunteer talks from industry professionals. Another benefit is the networking that you can do with people in the industry, being that you are a student volunteer you will be working all the events and meeting lots of the people that are involved in them. Finally, it is a good thing to put on your resume being that it is a rather tough selection process. I hope I provided some thinking points at least.

Elendorial
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I see. The sad thing is that I'm in a big dilemma. I'm from Greece and the cost just for the airline is 1500CAD. I also have to pay for housing since my application for that was rejected. So we are talking something like 2300CAD + whatever I spend there. Is it worth an amount like that just to be a volunteer? I'm totally confused, any help would be great!

roderickweise
05-28-2011, 11:12 PM
I will be there! Since it is in vancouver the school I am attending has a booth there and I get tickets to attend and I volunteered for the school booth it looks like it will be a fun time.

Kev3D
05-30-2011, 08:09 AM
I will be attending this for the first time.

I have a question for people who have gone to the whole five days, is it worth going for that long (full conference pass)? Do you get tired and sick of it by the end?

I only ask because I was talking to a guy who goes to NAB regularly and he says he sees everything he's bored and has seen everything he needs to by the end of the third day.

PaulHellard
05-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi Kevin,

I've gone to each SIGGRAPH for a number of years now. The sessions are quite well paced throughout the five days. There will always be enough people, attractions, announcements and demonstrations of new products, films, parties and networking opportunities to keep me running ragged for the full five, let me tell you.

Even if the numbers are down in the show floor, the sessions will keep you enthralled and very interested to hear more.

Kev3D
05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Sounds good to me, can't wait!

infeenit
07-14-2011, 06:08 PM
hi everyone.
who knows if i can return siggraph ticket?

malducin
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
hi everyone.
who knows if i can return siggraph ticket?

yes you can but you need to express sent it, per SIGGRAPHs instructions:

Cancellation requests for refunds must be made in writing and received on or before Monday, 18 July. No refunds will be issued after this date. There is a refund processing fee of $US 75. Basic and Basic One Day registrations are not refundable.

infeenit
07-17-2011, 01:11 AM
thanks
its is no point then(
i need 3 month to get visa in LA why they have to install computer system right now(

malducin
07-17-2011, 03:35 PM
thanks
its is no point then(
i need 3 month to get visa in LA why they have to install computer system right now(

Blame it on Carmaggedon :-P

A few things, the consulate advices you to get your visa 3 months in advance, but processing times are 30 days at most, so it could be less but it's tight. Another thing if you request a one time business visit visa and you supply all documents (including the SIGGRAPH registration, the Visa letter and the letter of Recognition), processing times could be less. The consulate I applied to had 10 days processing time, but it was approved in 4 days.

Also from your profile, are you from the UK? In most cases UK citizens with a passport don't require a Visa to enter Canada (exact circumstances are in the Los Angeles consulate page).

The other thing is you could try yo sell your full registration, since after Jukly 18 prices go up again.

PaulHellard
07-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Hey!

I'll be in town from early Wednesday the 3rd. Getting my clock on kilter and getting to know the place before all hell breaks loose. Visiting studios and talking to artists.

JBoskma
07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I am looking forward to seeing this event happen in Vancouver. The new convention center is a gorgeous location. I'll be presenting at the Pixologic Zbrush booth Wednesday 10th.

malducin
07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Hey!
I'll be in town from early Wednesday the 3rd. Getting my clock on kilter and getting to know the place before all hell breaks loose. Visiting studios and talking to artists.

I'm, guessing you'll be posting that on the SIGGRAPH blog when it comes online?

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.