PDA

View Full Version : Fingers not the hand?

Cadedra
04-03-2011, 12:48 AM
I was watching this tut about character rigging in MAX: the guy had a custom control object (a shape) for driving the position of the IK goal for the arm movement, and the rotation of the hand bone as well. So far so good. But what surprised me was that he preferred to attach the fingers to that control object instead to the hand bone. Why? Oh, I understand very well it works, but I cannot understand why he preferred so.

So far in my short life as a rigger, I have always attached my finger bones to my hand bone, and went… good.:shrug:

In that very tutorial I saw something similar to the first effect I described: This guy had a shape to control the clavicle. And the clavicle was not attached to the spine. Instead, the shape was. And, OMG, I always attach my clavicles to my spine…

Am I missing something? I would like to know the reason why the guy from the tut would do as he did. He wouldn’t explain…

eek
04-03-2011, 05:32 AM
I'd think you'd only want a broken hierarchy of bones/controls etc if its not driving the final skeleton, or if your prototyping etc.

With CAT/PS the rig is essentially the skeleton - I'm starting to veer away from this idea. The issue i see with the fingers parented to the control itself is that if the control goes too far from the shoulder (with no stretching) the fingers will drift away.

skeleton > rides control rig > rides mocap - this is direction im trying to move into.

Cadedra
04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
eek, thanks. I am somehow relieved.
So... this guy was wrong? I thought that maybe he was, but you never know, so I made this thread.
If anyone has an idea why he would rig the hand and the shoulder like that, please tell.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.