PDA

View Full Version : RIT or SVA

mengmengandxx
04-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Hi, everyone, I have been accepted by RIT (MFA animation)and SVA (MFA computer art).what do you guys know about these schools? Which one would be better for me?

Thank you very much for your help!

KrzysztofFus
04-02-2011, 02:17 AM
SVA is much better. But SVA BFA Computer Art is much better than MFA.

Look at some student work!

http://www.svacomputerart.com/studentwork.html

kemny
04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Congrats on your acceptances!

I go to RIT, I'm a junior in the undergrad 3D Digital Graphics Program. My demo reel is here: http://vimeo.com/20905582

My program is within the same college at RIT as animation, but is a little different. It's newer (our first class graduates this year) and has more of a focus on modeling, dynamics, motion graphics, etc. than animation and film-production. The grad equivalent is called CGD (Computer Graphics Design). With that little disclaimer out of the way, that I'm not in the animation program...

RIT is very focused on teaching very specific skills (for 3d undergraduate degrees alone, I had to pick from 3D Digital Graphics, Animation, Game Design and Development, and New Media Design) and puts a large emphasis on getting co-ops. I have one professor who just came from SVA, and I think he's mentioned that one of the biggest differences is that SVA has more of an art focus, and RIT has a more technical focus.

I want to be a TD, so I don't regret my decision to come to RIT, which allows me to have a very specific 3d major with a Computer Science minor. However, I'd say RIT doesn't really have the connections yet in the film industry - but, that doesn't mean they won't get there.

If you have any questions about RIT don't hesitate to ask :)

mengmengandxx
04-16-2011, 12:01 PM
SVA is much better. But SVA BFA Computer Art is much better than MFA.

Look at some student work!

http://www.svacomputerart.com/studentwork.html

Thanks a lot! Do you know anything about Pratt Institute? I'm also accepted by Pratt (MFA digital art animation)Is it better than SVA?

taxguy
04-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I honestly don't know which is better for MFA: Pratt or SVA. We did visit both for my daughter.

Personally, I like Pratt very much although my daughter liked SVA.

Pratt promised a reel at the end,which SVA did NOT. SVA, however, seems a bit more commercially oriented than Pratt,which seems a bit more fine art oriented.

Both were more alike than different to be honest. Both had required liberal arts courses,although SVA seemed to have more of them. Why a MFA must take liberal arts is quite puzzling though.

Pratt has a real campus. SVA is located in Manhattan. There is no campus. The city is your campus.

Both are considered among the best MFA programs in NY as far as connections. SVA has a few, and I do mean only a few, more elective choices than Pratt. SVA might have a slightly better reputation for multimedia training and animation than Pratt,but I honestly think that both programs are close in quality. However, I could not evaluate the quality of the faculty or reputation of each school. You need to visit each place.

I can tell you that both have very good facilities. I expected Pratt's facilities to far outshine that of SVA because Pratt built a whole new building for its digital arts programs;however, I can say that I thought SVA's facilities were quite good too.

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2011, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.