PDA

View Full Version : how to add smoke and seeking critique

rochre26
04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I created a test of a torch burning. I'm mostly happy with it but I'd like some professional opinions.

Also, I drove the opacity with a spike in the scale/graph. But I want some smoke coming from the fire. If I raise the opacity in the scale where black would occur I get an inappropriate falloff at the bottom of the flame but do get smoke drifting off the top. I don't even know if I'm making sense here.

http://vimeo.com/21782322

If it would help I'll post the scene file.

Thanks.

Aikiman
04-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Among other things smoke is derived from density residue so to speak, so if you burn off your temperature and fuel and let your density linger longer you will get your smoke. The only problem is your smoke will be very transparent which it usually is with small fires like the one you have.

If you wanted dense thick billowing smoke you'd have to use a second container.

rochre26
04-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the advice. I figured that is what I'd need to do but am having a hard time understanding which temperature and or fuel attributes I should be tweaking.

I've attached the file I created this with if you have the time to look at it.

Thanks again for the help.

Aikiman
04-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Heres what I did to your scene.

Made the Opacity ramp density instead of temp and raised the input bias to 0.39
Incandescent input bias to 0.465
Temperature dissipation 0.5
Density dissipation 0.1
Changed the color swatches on your color ramp so the light gray was on the left and dark to the right.

rochre26
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Awesomeness! Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.