PDA

View Full Version : Good current SI books/courses?

KerroPerro
04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

I've only recently started discovering the greatness that is Softimage, it was sitting unused on my Autodesk Educational Suite and i was primarily learning Maya.

But something prompted me to try Softimage and i was amazed at the power of ICE, the render tree and sweeet modelling tools! :thumbsup:

Now i've gotten an ok grip on the basics thanks to some free Digital Tutors tuts and one Gnomon dvd but i would really like a comprehensive and current source of SI knowledge.

I was prepared to sign up to Digital Tutors but checking how much SI tuts they had i don't think i'll learn as much as i want to.

So i started hunting for books, these too are dissapointingly thin on the ground - especially when you compare it too Maya! Also the most recent book i could find was about XSI 5....

So anyone have any books, tutorial collections (not just loose ones please) or (affordable) online courses to recommend?

Hirazi
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Over at the si-community there is a thread attempting to list "all" current,
free and commercial, video tutorials for Softimage.
You can find it here (http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1306)

There sadly seems to be no publisher brave enough
to publish a book on Softimage ATM and I doubt if that will ever change again...
;)

KerroPerro
04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Over at the si-community there is a thread attempting to list "all" current,
free and commercial, video tutorials for Softimage.
You can find it here (http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1306)

There sadly seems to be no publisher brave enough
to publish a book on Softimage ATM and I doubt if that will ever change again...
;)

Ah thank you fellow countryman :bowdown:

I like the look of the I3D tuts i found through the community thread, seem nice and current.

Seeing as your in the Netherlands as well, can i get your opinion on this book over at bol.com : http://www.bol.com/nl/p/engelse-boeken/softimage-xsi-5-for-a-future-animation-studio-boss/1001004002582444/index.html#product_description

Think it is still relevant and worth the cash?

Hirazi
04-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I personally never read this book, so I can't say for sure, but I think you're better off spending your cash on some good tutorials. I3D Tutorials do make high-quality tutorials as far as I can tell, although their excellent Rendering tutorials seem slightly outdated by now (as some features in Softimage have changed significantly) But still, well worth checking out IMHO...
;)

KerroPerro
04-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Cool, i guess i was just seduced by the title - "Future Animation Studio Boss" just sounds so awesome ;)

Off-Topic: i notice a lot of posters on the si-community are Dutch, might be interesting for collaborations and/or setting up small courses in the future? If the Blenderers can get together then why not the SI-users? :hmm:

dwigfor
04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Also make sure to checkout redi vivus - they have lots of FREE great training, especially with ICE. http://www.letterboxanimationstudios.com/RediVivus/index.php

KerroPerro
04-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Also make sure to checkout redi vivus - they have lots of FREE great training, especially with ICE. http://www.letterboxanimationstudios.com/RediVivus/index.php

Yeah i found them on the aforementioned si-communty page, bit of a hassle getting them though (e-mail links > slow filefactory download in parts...) but a good free resource methinks, am downloading right now!

Hirazi
04-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Off-Topic: i notice a lot of posters on the si-community are Dutch
Other than rork (AKA bravmm on CGTalk) and myself (AKA Hirazi Blue) I haven't noticed anyone else, but I could be missing something...

KerroPerro
04-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Other than rork (AKA bravmm on CGTalk) and myself (AKA Hirazi Blue) I haven't noticed anyone else, but I could be missing something...

Whoops yeah now you mention it does just seem to be you two :blush: It's just that i saw the thread you linked had "location: the Netherlands" all over it that i got a little excited and had visions of all sorts of cool community activities... nevermind!

bravmm
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Hiay,

You're almost next door to me Nick! It's always good to have another local SI artist on my list for projects to come :deal:

PM me if you want, and we'll have cup of coffee or something....
And I have the XSI DVD's available for you that are discussed here, including all the RediVivus material. :bounce:

rob

oktawu
04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
The official xsi 7 dvds that softimage put out are still pretty good (especially the referencing, ice and syflex related ones). I'm not sure where one can find them on the net, i think redi-vivus had them once, but they had a really difficult download system, and even though they were free, it was somehow prohibited to upload them in torrent format. I guess you should just ask around for them.
Also, i've always had a soft spot for the "Experience XSI" book. Great motivational material so to speak. Nothing indepth, mostly introduction stuff, but it was nicely edited and coherently written. Plus it had beautiful artwork courtesy of Aaron Sims. I think u can still pick that up for almost nothing over at amazon. It's a bit outdated, but the stuff still applies even today.

ps. yeah, it's around 9 bucks now, 1 buck used.
http://www.amazon.com/Experience-XSI-Official-SOFTIMAGE-Character/dp/1592002102

Hirazi
04-03-2011, 03:13 PM
If we're talking outdated books that can still be quite valuable: IMHO Boaz Livny's "mental ray for Maya, 3ds Max, and XSI: A 3D Artist's Guide to Rendering" could really use an update, but still is a very good introduction into the intricacies of "our" "much beloved" Mental Ray...
;)

KerroPerro
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Hiay,

You're almost next door to me Nick! It's always good to have another local SI artist on my list for projects to come :deal:

PM me if you want, and we'll have cup of coffee or something....
And I have the XSI DVD's available for you that are discussed here, including all the RediVivus material. :bounce:

rob

Hey Rob, sound good! :thumbsup: PM on the way!

The official xsi 7 dvds that softimage put out are still pretty good (especially the referencing, ice and syflex related ones). I'm not sure where one can find them on the net, i think redi-vivus had them once, but they had a really difficult download system, and even though they were free, it was somehow prohibited to upload them in torrent format. I guess you should just ask around for them.
Also, i've always had a soft spot for the "Experience XSI" book. Great motivational material so to speak. Nothing indepth, mostly introduction stuff, but it was nicely edited and coherently written. Plus it had beautiful artwork courtesy of Aaron Sims. I think u can still pick that up for almost nothing over at amazon. It's a bit outdated, but the stuff still applies even today.

ps. yeah, it's around 9 bucks now, 1 buck used.
http://www.amazon.com/Experience-XSI-Official-SOFTIMAGE-Character/dp/1592002102

Thanks for the tips Oktawu, i am dowloading the Redi-Vivus stuff right now but it is a real hassle (though it seems i won't have to soon!) and i ordered the book, cool to find a whole lot of very cheap books at amazon btw!

If we're talking outdated books that can still be quite valuable: IMHO Boaz Livny's "mental ray for Maya, 3ds Max, and XSI: A 3D Artist's Guide to Rendering" could really use an update, but still is a very good introduction into the intricacies of "our" "much beloved" Mental Ray...
;)

Yeah i have that one already - been lying on the table waiting to be read, just need to find time for it... it's a biggie...

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.