PDA

View Full Version : Help with ****** "Houdini Fundamentals"

Cordeiro
04-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I've just grabbed the last chance to purchase a yearly subscription for 299 and i'm following the "Houdini Fundamentals" video. Very pleased with the quality btw :)

Anyway, in the section about procedural selection I have two things I can't replicate.

First, the instructor selects faces from a grid, adds a polyextrude and say he presses the tilde key, witch disconnects the node, selects other faces, press enter and the polyextrude is applied to these new faces. I can't replicate these steps, the ~ doesn't seem to work for me, maybe it's because I use a mac Portuguese keyboard, can I change the Hotkey ? I don't know the name of this operation.

Then he demonstrates a attribcreate node and uses expresions like rand($PT+50) to get random values. However i get "unable to evaluate expression" errors using the same expressions. where there changes in syntax between H9 and H11 ?

fomal
04-01-2011, 03:57 AM
You had the expression evaluation method set to Python. In that case the syntax rand($PT+4) doesn't work because the function is a Hscript (houdini script). Houdini supports 2 types of scripting languages, python and Houdini Script and let's you switch between them at any point. You can select the global language for a node (like you did using the toggle in the parameter view top right) or on a parameter itself (right mouse button > change language to ...). Try making the expression work in python ;)

Attached you can see the fixed file.

Cordeiro
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
like you did using the toggle in the parameter view top right

I did ? Lol :D of course I did. Thank you, I'll try to make it in python :wip:

Btw why is cgtalk censoring the word ****** ? :hmm:

cmi-vfx with the "-" works thought

moonlightkiss
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Because CGTalk is immature apparently. I personally thinks its unprofessional to censor it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.