PDA

View Full Version : Combining mesh for binding?

mitchrichie
03-31-2011, 05:28 PM
I've never done anything with rigging yet, but have a new project that requires it so I'm jumping in.

I think I understand how to bind a skeleton to a single mesh... but the robotic arm that I want to rig has several separate objects or meshes. Do I have to combine these before I can bind the skeleton to it? What is the best way to do this?

See the screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17238247/Screen%20shot%202011-03-31%20at%2011.26.57%20AM.png

mitchrichie
03-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Ok, so I figured out how to bind...

Then I added IK and it seems like some of the joints have limits on them...

See the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_mOQkr4q8

When I drag the IK handle back towards the base of the arm, that one joint won't continue to rotate back. It's like it has a limit on the 90 degree mark...

I don't get it.

mitchrichie
03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Ok, so I figured out how to bind...

Then I added IK and it seems like some of the joints have limits on them...

See the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_mOQkr4q8

When I drag the IK handle back towards the base of the arm, that one joint won't continue to rotate back. It's like it has a limit on the 90 degree mark...

I don't get it.

When I look at the limit on that joint it's like the IK handle won't push it negative past 0, or positive past 49.76. Yet I've set no rotation limits.

Lomax
04-01-2011, 12:28 AM
That's pretty much how IK works - whichever way the joints are bent when you apply IK, that's the only way they will bend.
As far as skinning goes, for something like this you might be better off keeping each piece separate, and parenting or constraining them to the joints. Skinning is more for organic objects...

mitchrichie
04-01-2011, 12:31 AM
That's pretty much how IK works - whichever way the joints are bent when you apply IK, that's the only way they will bend.
As far as skinning goes, for something like this you might be better off keeping each piece separate, and parenting or constraining them to the joints. Skinning is more for organic objects...

Seems weird that the joint will only rotate less than 180 degrees. I thought IK would help speed up the animation process, but maybe I'll have to do it without.

Cadedra
04-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Maybe you would like to use IK just for part of the chain, not the complete chain.
For example, in your case I would use it only on the last 2 or 3 pieces, leaving the first pieces work with FK, but, of course, it depends on the animation you would like to achieve.
You could even try two consecutive IK chains, to make fancy effects. To my liking, long IK chains are very hard to control.

Oh, and, like Lomax proposed, you do not need to skin for this one. Just attach the separate pieces to your bones, and there you go.

mitchrichie
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe you would like to use IK just for part of the chain, not the complete chain.
For example, in your case I would use it only on the last 2 or 3 pieces, leaving the first pieces work with FK, but, of course, it depends on the animation you would like to achieve.
You could even try two consecutive IK chains, to make fancy effects. To my liking, long IK chains are very hard to control.

Oh, and, like Lomax proposed, you do not need to skin for this one. Just attach the separate pieces to your bones, and there you go.

Is there a way to "attach the separate pieces to my bones" besides using "Bind Skin"?

I used rigid bind and then used the component editor to set the weights to "1" for each of the parts.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.