PDA

View Full Version : High resoluhion nCloth techniques

kiryha
03-31-2011, 02:31 PM
I need to simulate very large peace (lets say 30x30 meters) of silk wich cover high building and other big structures. Its mean that i need extreme quantity of details.
As i understand, to get realistic result i need wery dence mesh. But heavy model take ages to simulate. So i need to tweak raw simulation with low poly model, and then, after i satisfy the result, replace lowpoly mesh with highpoly and resimulate to get all details in fabric.
Am i write, and i yes- how to do this?

And what about scale of may objects? When i create 1meter X 1 meter square simulation goes wery slow and result looks like this is 1sm X 1sm fabric. And if i create 1sm X 1 sm fabric- sim goes much faster and result much closer to big garment. I dont understand logic- i thoght that i need to keep my scene close to real sizes.

HowardM
03-31-2011, 04:11 PM
You can sim on a low res mesh, with correct settings you can still get some nice wrinkles and detail... then Wrap a Highres mesh to it.
Also with textures and bump maps you can add finer detail.
But yes you will still need long sim times if you want something hires.

Read about Sim Scale (some posts here describing) to get your settings correct.

conflictingalibi
04-08-2011, 07:03 AM
It is recommended to model cloth based of a 1 meter scale, but in the nucleus>scale attributes you can adjust the scale. I find this to make a huge difference in the appearance of the simulation. Default is of course 1.000 but if you model to a 1cm scale you would set this as 0.01. I say set this to whatever you feel sims right.

I've found you can get away with lower res mesh with materials that don't deform as easily, but with light material that wrinkle a lot such as silk you really do have to go with at least a medium to high res mesh.

Low res sim wrap to high res definitely works but has its limitations.

Additionally you can use wrinkle maps to help you out.

ftaswin
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
As i understand, to get realistic result i need wery dence mesh

I dont think it's true. It depends on the material you are trying to achieve. And doing a sim on a lores and expect a more realistic result by making it "hires" is (i think) a big no no.

Turn of self collision and collision to start with that makes the sim way faster. start with a descent number of sub steps (3 - default - is too low) but not too high.

Good luck

KidderD
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
As i understand, to get realistic result i need wery dence mesh. .

2012 helps in this regard, as the collisions are threaded.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.